• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diabetes worries for Alice

nicki

Warren Scout
Hi,

You may remember that my lovely bun Alice has chronic stasis due to stomach lining inflammation. She has been kept alive for the last 7 months through short acting steroids as an apsolute last resort now and again and the usual zantac,metaclop, metacam, fluids and forage diet on a daily basis.

My vet is now worried that she may have developed diabetes. She is drinking and weeing excessively and has a big appetite. She has gained weight rather than lost recently (not sure if that is good or not)

I know it is a hard one but I wondered if anyone had any experience which could help my brave girl who still has a very happy life at the moment.
Thanks so much,
Nicki

Hi, sorry your bun has had so many problems with her digestion. I am afraid I dont know anything about diabetes in rabbits, but that drinking and weeing excessively can be signs of other things being wrong with the kidneys, such as EC affecting kidney function, or raised calcium in the kidneys, or sludge or stones being in the kidneys. I dont know how diabetes would be diagnosed, I guess through a few blood glucose tests at different times of day? The blood can be looked at also for EC titres, calcium levels, and urea/kidney function (not sure what all the different specific names would be for kidney function tests, sorry, but I know all these were looked at for my buns when they were drinking/weeing excessively). Though with these I thought it was more common to lose weight than gain weight but I could be wrong.

Is your vet thinking of running some diagnostics for the diabetes? Urine sampling might help with diagnosing/excluding this and the above as well? (I am guessing here rather than knowing).

Hope she gets better & that whatever is going on can be treated for her.

Diagnosing Diabetes in Rabbits is more complicated than doing so in some other species. A series of blood tests are needed at various times during the day. Diabetes is actually rare in Rabbits. Given your Rabbit's history I would be looking at other possible causes of her symptoms. Has she had a full blood profile run recently ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply especially as you have very poorly bunnies.

Alice has not had a full blood profile very recently. I will ask him about it next week.

She had some liver function issues before Christmas but my vet feels that on examination her liver has not changed in shape/size and she has regained weight.

I also wondered about kidney function too. Her wee is normal in appearance.

The vet said that if it was diabetes it would be very difficult to diagnose but seemed to think this was a possible side-effect of the steroids.

Nicki

Thanks for taking the time to reply especially as you have very poorly bunnies.

Alice has not had a full blood profile very recently. I will ask him about it next week.

She had some liver function issues before Christmas but my vet feels that on examination her liver has not changed in shape/size and she has regained weight.

I also wondered about kidney function too. Her wee is normal in appearance.

The vet said that if it was diabetes it would be very difficult to diagnose but seemed to think this was a possible side-effect of the steroids.

Nicki

It is, but it is not the first thing I'd think of in a Rabbit. Hopefully a Full blood profile will shed some light on things. At least Alice is still feeling well within herself at the moment xx

I may be wide of the mark here but in humans any treatment with steriods can trigger diabetes and humans on steriods are tested frequently as this is quite a common consequence of steriod medication. I am referring to steriods and not non steriodal anti inflams - but you did say you bunny had had steriod injections over time and your vet should know if bunnies can be affected the same as humans can.

I may be wide of the mark here but in humans any treatment with steriods can trigger diabetes and humans on steriods are tested frequently as this is quite a common consequence of steriod medication. I am referring to steriods and not non steriodal anti inflams - but you did say you bunny had had steriod injections over time and your vet should know if bunnies can be affected the same as humans can.

AFAIK steroids can effect the pancreas and thus the production of insulin. Rabbits are less reliant on insulin I think :?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Metabolic_diseases/Diabetes_en.htm

Back