• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Same old, same old...

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Today I mentioned that we have spent around £300 this week on treatment for Beau with his stasis. Woman at work said "How much did the rabbits cost? Couldn't you have just got another one". Friend tried to interject, knowing how much I love my bun, woman then said, "well there must be places they can go, like fields or whatever". This is a very intelligent woman, I might add!

Some people just don't understand. Thankfully no one has ever made such a comment to me (Ted's stasis bill this last month is just over £1700, though we are insured) however I do find that people try and tell me about the sticky ends some of their friends bunnies have come to :cry:. I always butt in to say 'if you're going to tell me something nasty then I don't want to know', and still they try to carry on. I've had to get really quite firm with two people recently and it's only when I point out that if someone had an ill child they wouldn't dream of telling a tale about how it might die, that they seem to realise that to me it is only the same thing.

Ignore them.

Some people just don't understand. Thankfully no one has ever made such a comment to me (Ted's stasis bill this last month is just over £1700, though we are insured) however I do find that people try and tell me about the sticky ends some of their friends bunnies have come to :cry:. I always butt in to say 'if you're going to tell me something nasty then I don't want to know', and still they try to carry on. I've had to get really quite firm with two people recently and it's only when I point out that if someone had an ill child they wouldn't dream of telling a tale about how it might die, that they seem to realise that to me it is only the same thing.

Ignore them.

This is it - her kid was ill the day after, so when she made this comment I was so tempted to say 'You know I was just thinking this about your kid':roll:

People are invariably idiots when it comes to rabbits. I think I may have mentioned on another thread but when one of mine died recently I was at work the day after and the first thing someone said to me was a reference to pie. What an idiot. I don't know why people think it's acceptable to suggest you wouldn't take your bunny to the vets. Idiots.

Since getting bunnies and rarely shutting up about them, I have come to realise that so many people consider rabbits to be "just a rabbit"... where did/does this mindset come from? Just one small example - a chap I spoke with recently asked if the rabbits ever jump on the bed and go to sleep etc. to which I responded they rarely do but have before. He seemed perplexed and commented "I see why a cat would yes, but a rabbit? Not a rabbit!"

What happened? It seems cats and dogs enjoy an elevated status. I love dogs too but I love my rabbits. I do wonder why rabbits are seemingly "2nd class" to cats and dogs.

If she was with a baby i would of said "As that baby was FREE, when it ***** itself you can just ge a new one"

I was told that so much last year when my bun was ill - also at work. I just wish it was elsewhere so i could have spoken my mind!

Back