• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ideas about what is wrong with Frankie?

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
This is the second time this has happened to Frankie.

The first time was on Christmas day.

Yesterday he was off his food but still drinking water. He had a trip to the vets during the day. baytril, metacam and metoclopromide administered.

This morning he seemed even worse. Very still. I gently picked him up to check his tummy etc. He then had some sort of seizure. He stretched out his entire body, became very stiff for a few seconds, let out a little scream and then back to normal posture.

In the past couple of hours he has just started eating and drinking again. Through all of this I have been syringe feeding him.

Exactly the same symptoms and length of time of being poorly.

The vet could not find anything wrong with him yesterday and on the previous occasion.

He is getting brighter by the hour. Thank goodness.

Estelle is her usual happy and healthy little self.

Any ideas as to what Frankie's problem could be?

Last edited:
Bladder/Kidney Stones ?

The intense pain occurring as one passes through the ureter/urethra

Any diagnostics run ?

What are his poos and wees like ?

Oh my goodness, I really think you'll need to see a vet. Any rabbit who screams is in extream pain. I do hope all will be well, try and get to a vet asap. Let us know how you get on, sending vibes to you

Bladder/Kidney Stones ?

The intense pain occurring as one passes through the ureter/urethra

Any diagnostics run ?

What are his poos and wees like ?

His wee is rather pale in colour but no doubt that could be because he hasn't had as much to eat and drink as per usual.

His poos were a little on the small side, but he has just passed a pile of quite odd shaped ones. I have had a close look at the largest one and it is mainly composed of fur. He is starting to moult quite heavily. I wonder whether this was/is the problem.

He is a brilliant little hay eater and has a really good diet.

There was no sign of discomfort yesterday or today when both the vet and myself had a feel of his abdomen.

He's now sat in his litter tray chomping on hay as if nothing has happened.

Previously when he had screamed in pain I speedily took him to the vet where he stayed for 24 hours. Nothing could be found to be wrong with him. Back to normal the next day.

Last edited:
I think you need to get this worked up. Xrays and blood tests are a good start. Appropriate pain relief is also essential.
Goodluck

Poor bun. Sounds to my very untrained ear that it could have been the pain of the fur passing through. Maybe a gas build up aswell.

I hope he keeps improving :wave:

This is awful but I'm glad he's on the mend and will keep sending good vibes.

As already suggested an X-Ray and bloodwork would be a good idea.

If he is moulting a lot, it is perhaps worth geting a metal comb and brushing through his fur on a regular basis

Thank you for all your your replies.

Frankie has passed some 'necklace' type poos. Alot of fur involved. I get the feeling that this was the problem.

Today Frankie is back to his happy little normal self. Binkying around the garden, nomming well and playing with Princess Plumptious................Estelle!!!:thumb::thumb:

Extra grooming by me is needed!

Back