• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel that something's 'wrong' with Grim.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Just feeling really down about it.
The vet was very happy with him when we went up on Friday. His eyes were a little more runny than usual so I've started the antibiotic eye drops as well as the daily baytril and three daily penicillin injections he already has for his snuffles. But since then he's been really quiet and subdued. He doesn't want to eat the bread I hide his baytril in, and he is usually begging me for it when it gets to 9pm when I do all his meds. I've been having to syringe it to him and he hates that so much. I started giving him painkillers again in case it was blocked sinuses and I use a nebuliser with him too, but his nose has been running less lately.

I have a horrible feeling deep down that it might be myxi. I don't know why. His eyes are very swollen and there is a small lump on his nose, but that could just be bone deformity from long term, serious infection. It's on the same side as the infection. Smoo was vaccinated on Friday but Grim has only been vaccinated twice in his life and that was a couple of years ago. If it is he's having all the appropriate medication anyway. When I put him in the nebuliser tonight he stamped as usual but didn't fight to get out like he usually does.

Something's just wrong and has been for the last few days. He does go through quiet periods when the air pressure is up as it really affects his sinuses/snuffles and I think it's quite possible with all the crazy weather that the air pressure has been all over the place. I just don't like seeing him like this. He's usually so happy and it makes me sad to see him like this. There's nothing else I can do right now, he's on everything he needs to be on. Just giving him extra cuddles.

It's horrible when you can't figure out a poorly bun :cry: If Grim has an infection it is possible for the 'bug' affecting him to change which might just be why his eyes are worse. I ahve a bun, Arwen, with chronically infected eye ducts (thanks to bad diet from previous owner and over grown teeth as a result) and I ahve to reguarly change the antibiotics when they start to fail. I have her eye gunk cultured probably twice a year to figure out the right antibiotic and we juggled antibiotics (back and forth with baytril mostly!). The other thing you could do is get an x-ray to see what shows up. We discovered heart disease when I had a feeling something was wrong with Arwen and I asked for investigations. She on disgusting smelling heart tablets and has really perked up in the last few weeks

:cry: Really hope its just a quiet period for Grim. Sending mega vibes for cuddly Grimmie boy and nose rubs. Hugs to you. xxx

Thanks.

He did seem brighter after the nebuliser so I hope it's just air pressure again. I might see if there's an app I can get on my phone or something that tells me when it's going to be high pressure so I can give Grim painkillers in advance. I'd like to try bisolvon again but it really didn't agree with him last time. I'll speak to my vet about it if this does turn out to be due to pressure.

Thanks.

He did seem brighter after the nebuliser so I hope it's just air pressure again. I might see if there's an app I can get on my phone or something that tells me when it's going to be high pressure so I can give Grim painkillers in advance. I'd like to try bisolvon again but it really didn't agree with him last time. I'll speak to my vet about it if this does turn out to be due to pressure.

The pressure thing is quite interesting, is there any chance you could get a small barometer and keep it where Grim is, and monitor when he has 'quiet' times?

I know Ginger's always worse, for example, when the humidity is high and the air is dry, perhaps something similar for Grim?

Loads of vibes for the big man :love:

Tender healing vibes for Grimmy ((((((((((vibes)))))))))
My Mimzy is very sensitive to weather changes. Between his arthritis and his sinuses he can be perky or depressed depending, and the latter is always cause for concern.

Hope Grim is back to himself soon. :)

Thank you everyone. He just wants cuddles all the time, but that's normal. :)
I'm not sure about the solar storm... it's magnetic energy... but then we had all the really bad weather on Monday. Coincidence?

I don't know if humidity affects Grim. He goes in the nebuliser and that helps him so surely humidity would help too? I think he's worse in dry heat but I'm not sure. I need to invest in a barometer.

How old is Grim now?
I think the temporary humidity of the nebulizer is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Just like a hot shower actually makes one feel refreshed, but atmospheric humidity is another thing altogether. Having lived on the west coast of America all my life in a temperate clime, visiting relatives one summer in the eastern states was uncomfortable due to the oppressive humidity and fluctuating air pressure. Even here in the far north we have such odd changes in barometric pressure that ten degrees change drier or more moist is like a lead weight on your back.
Of course I'm pushing 50 and have a degenerative back condition and lousy sinuses, but those aren't the only factors that determine how I approach the day.

I hope Grim is better now. He seems such a sweet soul. :)

How old is Grim now?
I think the temporary humidity of the nebulizer is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Just like a hot shower actually makes one feel refreshed, but atmospheric humidity is another thing altogether. Having lived on the west coast of America all my life in a temperate clime, visiting relatives one summer in the eastern states was uncomfortable due to the oppressive humidity and fluctuating air pressure. Even here in the far north we have such odd changes in barometric pressure that ten degrees change drier or more moist is like a lead weight on your back.
Of course I'm pushing 50 and have a degenerative back condition and lousy sinuses, but those aren't the only factors that determine how I approach the day.

I hope Grim is better now. He seems such a sweet soul. :)

He's about five and a half now. He's still not himself and didn't come out of the hutch yersterday. :( I wish I knew what to do to make him right.

Back