• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about E. cuniculi

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well I have been trying to convince my mum to find Rosie a friend for a little while now. Haven't seem to have gotten anywhere so far but will keep trying. Anyway, I was reading up about E. cuniculi and how it is passed from a carrier to a none carrier. But I am wondering, and quite worried, how you know it is safe to pair rabbits together without the risk of possibly passing E. cuniculi to one or the other. I don't know if my rabbit does or doesn't have the parasite and how do I know if another rabbit does or doesn't have the parasite before trying to bond them :? I am just a little confused and very worried about the health of my rabbit if I were to get her a friend. Any help???

a 28 day course of panacur/lapizole is used to kill the E C parasite together with bleach cleaning of hutch etc. I am sure I have read on here that you give both bunnies the 28 day course with cleaning on days 21 and 28 and this will eradicate EC,

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Its actually very common and over 50% of domestic rabbits carry the parasite without you even knowing. Even if you do treat both buns and bleach etc they can still catch it later on from bugs, insects or other animals such as mice which may have been on the grass your buns go on. I really think a study should be done so there is an injection for it like Myxi and VHD.

It is just a little worrying. I am wanting to try and find a friend for my rabbit but also worried incase it causes any health problems :( Hmm you say it is very common in domesticated rabbits. If both rabbits were to have the parasite would that mean both would be safe around eachother?

If both rabbits have unknown E.C. status you would usually assume it's okay to mix them but use a preventative course of Panacur when they are mixed together or some people might suggest a one off 28 day course when you bring them together.

If one of the rabbits definately has E.C. you would probably only think of mixing them with another known E.C. rabbit.

There are tests to show if a rabbit has been exposed to E.C. but they don't show whether they have an active infection.

You could leave your rabbit on its own for the rest of its life and he or she could still have an active EC infection, it is not just caused by mixing rabbits... A lot of it depends on the individuals own immune system.

For example I had Harvey for a year and adopted Lola, everything was fine for five years then Lola all of a sudden and for no reason came down with the EC infection. Nothing different had been done, nothing changed so no idea why it all of a sudden over took her. But she had always been the one with the weaker immune system. Harvey never showed any signs of EC although i still treated him with a 28 day course of Panacur and, touchwood, he still has never shown any signs. I never seperated them either.

Its a tough one but even if if you do treat them both when you get a friend, i still dont think it givesna gurentee, that said i think i still would give the one off treatment for 28 days, why not? It wont harm them and can only do good.

You can get Panacur or Lapizole (same ingrediant, different brand) from your Vet but they usually charge more than if you buy it online. You can get it quite cheap from VetUK or AniMedDirect. Panacur Rabbit Paste contains enough to do one small rabbit for 18 days or two small rabbits for 9 days. (small is less than 2.5kg) Lapizole liquid for rabbits contains more doses but is it bit more expensive. If you want to do the 28 day course I would get the Lapizole, if you want to do the 9 day course and your rabbits are small you should get the Panacur Paste.

You can get Panacur or Lapizole (same ingrediant, different brand) from your Vet but they usually charge more than if you buy it online. You can get it quite cheap from VetUK or AniMedDirect. Panacur Rabbit Paste contains enough to do one small rabbit for 18 days or two small rabbits for 9 days. (small is less than 2.5kg) Lapizole liquid for rabbits contains more doses but is it bit more expensive. If you want to do the 28 day course I would get the Lapizole, if you want to do the 9 day course and your rabbits are small you should get the Panacur Paste.

Rosie is over like 3kg so I think I might need Lapizole :lol: thankyou very much :)

Back