• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

:( New bunny having to be kept by petshop

:cry:

My new bunny went to the petshop today as his nose had discharge and I could hear him breathing, kind of like a rattle or snuffle, worse at night. Anyway, my OH took him to see their vet and they said they need to keep him, probably overnight as they can hear it on his chest :( just received the news at work and I could cry. If I had gone, I'd have taken him home and took him to my own vet. OH decided he'd go with the cost efficient option :(

Can they make me surrender him?

Are you serious?

If you have PAID for the rabbit, he is yours. No question about it.

I'm a little confused, to be honest, the rabbit is being kept by the pet shop, or the pet shops vet?

If they say his health is bad and they need to refund me and keep him. If they say he wasn't suitable for sale.
This has happened with friends with guinea pigs from PAH.

The pet shop vet is going to see him at the pet shop and so he has to stay there (at the pet shop) until the vet has decided what needs to be done. He's not on the shop floor and has been put in a pen on his own.

They will only take the rabbit if you let them, if it were my bun I would go to shop and ask to see him make an excuse you want to cuddle him make sure he is ok once bun is your arms just walk straight out tell them you have changed your mind and want to take him to a different vets. If you want your bun back don't let this carry on and don't take no for an answer! Good luck xx

I would personally never have let him stay there, I'd have waited for the vet or took him home. OH took him, I'm at work and the pet store is out in the sticks. I'll speak to OH at lunch and if hes not coming back tonight I'll do what you said. We've had him less than a week :( Thank you for your reply xx

If you have the money to pay for the vet yourself, I'd just ask for him back and take him to your vet. They can't refuse, as you have had him for a week.

They can;t refuse to give him to you. He's your rabbit. Go get him and take him to your own vet, say it was a msitake on the part of your OH.

Just got home to be told the vet rang, apparently he has a bad cold and needs to stay with them for 7days for treatment. Apparently the drugs he needs have to be administered by a vet and cannot be given to us. OH doesn't know what the drugs are called but it sounds iffy to me. They're closed now but will find out more from them tomorrow.

Im sure others will correct if i am wrong but rabbits do not get 'colds'. Did your OH speak to the vet directly? If there are painkillers/meds to be given I see no reason why you couldnt do it so yes that does seem iffy to me Im afraid :(

If it was me I think I would try and go down to the pet shop tomorrow morning and get further clarification, maybe they dont want to burden you with giving bunny the meds but they could at least tell you exactly what is happening!!!! xx

Last edited:
I've been googling, its not looking good is it. Do you think the 7days may be for a pathogen test? OH just said he spoke to the staff at the store not the vet. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if the vet will talk to me direct. I hope its not the case that I never see the little fella again :( I'm at work tomorrow so I can't even go down there

hi if you cant go down there direct then yes, I would ask to speak to the vet directly. he is your rabbit at the end of the day and you should know whats happening. Ask them to give you the name and number of the vet that saw him, or at least just the practice so you can speak to them. I would want to do this anyway to ensure a vet has actually been. Obviously the pet shop staff dont seem to have a clue unfortunately... If they cant give you the name of the vet then its obvious what is occuring and I would get someone maybe your OH to go down there and pick up the rabbit so you can take him to the vet yourself. xx try not to speculate too much as it could be a case of crossed wires x

They said it was illegal for the vet to release the drugs because of how strong they are. We're all really bummed out about it. If they can't give a number for the vet I'll leave work and go fetch him. This is going to be the longest 7days ever. But yes, I agree, I think the very least they could do is tell me what is going on. Fingers crossed that we're worrying over nothing and they are just being cautious :( xx

Get a longer lunch march in and demand your bunny is given back to you, they can't withhold him from you!

It might be something as innocent as the 'pet shop' is pets at home and the vets is Companion Care inside the store - in which case the pet shop aren't witholding the bunny at all, it would be the vets keeping the bun as an inpatient! Admittedly...if the place is out in the sticks as described, possibly not!

Similarly, the drugs issue might be something as innocent as they are using penicillin and feel it best to administer it by injection on site rather than dispense it, but it's too complex to explain all the ins and outs of it. With the information we've been given so far I think it's a bit premature to be screeching and demanding that the bunny comes home. Of course that might be what is required, but not necessarily!

Back