• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Billy had a stroke :(

I came home yesterday evening to find Billy collapsed, lying on his side. When he tried to move, he could barely move his back legs. I instantly thought he had fallen from the hutch in his run, so thinking he would be going to bunny heaven, Chris and I said our very tearful goodbyes and I took him to the vet.

Luckily we saw a vey good vet, who instantly said it looks like a stroke - head tilt to the left and major balance problems. She gently lay him on each side to see how he stood up. He was fine getting up from the right side, but nearly fell off the table when getting up from laying on his left side. She asked many questions and concluded; stroke, E.canniculi worm in the brain, or a deep ear infection affecting his balance, but most likely the stroke. She said it could explain why he has been aggressive recently.

Billy now has Baytril for 7 days and all bunnies have wormer for 28 days, just in case.

Billy is very wobbly still, not eating much (even the syringe feed) and his back left leg drags a little. Poor boy, he looks so helpless. Fingers crossed he will make a full recovery. Please send healing vibes so our gorgeous boy.

Oh poor Billy :(

A stronger antibiotic might be needed if it is an ear infection, Baytril is seldom strong enough to clear them so that might be worth discussing with your vet. I think it is also paramount that he has Metacam aswell, its an anti inflammatory pain killer and will help him enormously no matter what the cause. My Mimi had head tilt due to an ear infection, and the Metacam really got her eating again.

With Mimi, who was completely incapacitated, I brought her water bowl to her mouth every half an hour or so as she couldnt get to it herself. I suurrounded her with fresh hay so that she could nibble at it if she wanted to, and offered her all of her favourite foods to encourage her to eat.

Billy may be unable to groom himself so may need help with this, and he probably cant reach his caecotrophs so if you find any uneaten ones offer them to him straight away (gross job but somebodies gotta do it!)

Keep a close eye on his eyes, he may need help clearing debris from them. Mimi needed some eye lubrication from the vets as her 'up' eye was permenantly open :(

Loads and loads of vibes for Billy xxx

Oh your poor baby - trillions of 'healing' vibes coming his way. I hope he gets better and makes a good recovery, bless him. xxx

Thank you for your kind words. Billy was sniffing his veggies but didn't want to eat, so I syringed fed him evening, through the night and this morning. His caecotrophs - he tried to reach them but just toppled over! I didn't think to take them to his mouth so I shall do that for him.

Back