• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do with my old hutch?

nessar

Warren Veteran
As some of you may remember in the summer I had to buy a hutch very quickly for the rexes I rescued, and I got a Rose Cottage (5ft double hutch from p@h). I still have this hutch, but have no use for it at the moment, it is at a friends house in his garden. Now I really need to do something with it, as I cant leave it there forever, its not my garden!

I could sell it, but dont know whether I could advertise it for rabbits or just piggies, and not many people will get a 5ft double for piggies! I'd also make a huge loss, it was £159 new but second-hand hutches dont go for much, and the doors and ramp support are chewed a bit even though I only used it for a month and its otherwise in great condition. I reckon I'd get £50-70 maybe? I could do with the money.

I could keep it, as when I move in the summer there is a small chance I may get a flat with a garden and have to keep them outdoors, and I would either use it temporarily with a big run/aviary till I get some money together for a decent shed if I'm allowed (when I move I'm going to be very poor for a while so if they have to go outside this would help) or with 24 hour access to an aviary or big run I may keep it. However my Dad is only hiring a small van to come take my stuff back, and whilst I dont really have other furniture (other than a bookcase, bedside tables and 2 fishtanks) I might have to get rid of stuff to make room. I also will have to listen to my Dad lecture me and tell me how irresponsible I am for buying things the rabbits dont need (he doesnt know that I bought it yet, and wouldnt understand me doing so) and I will have to try and explain why I have a hutch, 5 boxes of NIC panels and an indoor cage for only 2 rabbits. And its not that likely I'll get a place with garden.

So what should I do?

1) Sell it
2) Keep it
3) Other?

Personally I would dismantle it and keep it - you might need it again and would lose a lot of money on it if you sold it now then needed another. It is a great hutch really. If after a few months you really don't need it you could sell it then ;);)

Bearing in mind everything you have said I would take some really good photo's of it on a nice sunny day (always helps ;) ) and put it on ebay. Maybe place some lino on the hutch floor to freshen it up? Be detailed with your description and state what it is and isn't suitable for. Include ferrets, quails & bantams in the title! I have sold LOTS of hutches on ebay and I think you'd get £70 for this one (easily). With that in mind I'd start the bidding at £49.99 and put on a buy it price for £79.99 (remember you'll need to take off 10% for the final value fee). You have to offer paypal as a payment method but if you state that you'd appreciate cash if it's being collected, most people will oblige :thumb:

If you are able to flat pack it & offer to send it by courier (Parcel Monkey are good for this sort of thing) then you're more likely to sell it and more likely to get a good price ;)

Then....as and when you need one in the future you can look around for a 2nd hand one yourself! I recently got a Happy Hutch 6ft x 2.5ft hutch over 6ft x 4ft run off ebay for £90 for someone and it had only been used for 3 months and was in great condition :D

Last edited:
Bearing in mind everything you have said I would take some really good photo's of it on a nice sunny day (always helps ;) ) and put it on ebay. Maybe place some lino on the hutch floor to freshen it up? Be detailed with your description and state what it is and isn't suitable for. Include ferrets, quails & bantams in the title! I have sold LOTS of hutches on ebay and I think you'd get £70 for this one (easily). With that in mind I'd start the bidding at £49.99 and put on a buy it price for £79.99 (remember you'll need to take off 10% for the final value fee). You have to offer paypal as a payment method but if you state that you'd appreciate cash if it's being collected, most people will oblige :thumb:

If you are able to flat pack it & offer to send it by courier (Parcel Monkey are good for this sort of thing) then you're more likely to sell it and more likely to get a good price ;)

Then....as and when you need one in the future you can look around for a 2nd hand one yourself! I recently got a Happy Hutch 6ft x 2.5ft hutch over 6ft x 4ft run off ebay for £90 for someone and it had only been used for 3 months and was in great condition :D

Thanks for the advice Fluffers, is the final value fee the fee that ebay charges to let you advertise stuff? Never sold anything on there before.

The bottom bit is what I'm worried about though, if I were to need a hutch I will have to get it delivered, I dont drive and will only know a couple of people that can down there (I'm moving 240 miles away), and their cars arent big enough for collecting a hutch. So I'd most likely have to buy one online new and not have any time to get one made (I preferably want one taller than usual so Barney can periscope in it) so I'd spend loads and then not be entirely happy with it.

But then the chance of me getting a place with a garden I guess is fairly small... argh decisions!

Thanks for the advice Fluffers, is the final value fee the fee that ebay charges to let you advertise stuff? Never sold anything on there before.

The bottom bit is what I'm worried about though, if I were to need a hutch I will have to get it delivered, I dont drive and will only know a couple of people that can down there (I'm moving 240 miles away), and their cars arent big enough for collecting a hutch. So I'd most likely have to buy one online new and not have any time to get one made (I preferably want one taller than usual so Barney can periscope in it) so I'd spend loads and then not be entirely happy with it.

But then the chance of me getting a place with a garden I guess is fairly small... argh decisions!

You pay a listing fee (usually a very small amount, less than £1). The final value fee is 10% of whatever the item sells for. So if you sold it for £80 you'd owe ebay £8 + the listing fee.

I'd still sell it :D You need the money now. You're worried about moving it in your dads van and it's not really big enough for Barney anyway and as you say - you might not even get outside space. No point worrying about stuff you can't control in the future - all you can do is work on what you know now and deal with the rest later :wave:

Back