• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home break-through!!!!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Went into my local P@H today to grab some dog food and the rabbit hutch at the front of the store caught my eye. After speaking to the staff and reading the leaflet, it now seems that P@H are doing some serious hutch upgrading!

On offer is a 5ft and 6ft hutch with attached under run (looks very much like Happy Hutch!) It has shiplap sides and back and looks to be very sturdy. Price wise, it's also quite good... £150 for a 5 foot with under run and £180 for a 6 foot with under run. Their only other 6ft in the past is £189ish without a run attached!

They have also upgraded two other hutches and they are now stocking a 6ft double tier hutch and 4/5 and 6ft single storey hutches.

I'd say this was a really good break through for P@H. The poster stated that although 5ft hutches are a good starter hutch, rabbits need more space which is why they have the 6ft available. It also says that they highly recommend an attached run with all hutches for guineas and buns.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am pretty chuffed. P@H is such a huge business and you see so many people buying from there... Hopefully this will show people that buns do need space and they will get 6ft hutches! It also shows that 6ft hutches will be more readily available to people in stores instead of having to search the internet.

I know it doesn't stop P@H selling buns but tbh, it's a start for rabbit welfare :D

That's really promising :D
I'll have to have a peek in my local p@h to see if they have the bigger hutches there too!

Yes I've seen it in ours. I thought it looked lovely even for indoors when Twinkle goes to bed. It's just I couldn't really justify the cost because Twinkle is free range for the greater part of the day and evening. Plus, I thought it might be harder for me to keep clean, particularly the lower part (back probs:roll:)

However it's great to see they are trying to improve things.

The staff did say the hutch wasn't meant to be on the floor until Sunday so this may be the reason they are not on the website yet :D

Totally agree Zahirre :thumb: Us lot live for our buns and do EVERYTHING possible to give them the best lives possible but not all rabbit owners are going to feel this way ( I'm not saying this right) and not all owners are going to want to fork out for a shed or have half their garden taken up by a permanent run. This is improvement. It's a huge step in the right dirrection.

That's good news.

The one on Foss Islands Road was ok with me the other week when I asked for a bun to be moved. It was in the adoption bit in a pen that had no lock on it, they explained there was no lock but when I said "so put it in the empty pen next door that DOES have a lock on it" they agreed to move it.

I saw what I thought was a new 5ft single when I was in there today, although it didnt have a label so mightve been 6. They still had the poppy den there, but the poster said it was suitable for 2 piggies or 1 young rabbit, so thats an improvement! Hopefully now people will be encouraged more to buy the bigger hutches.

Here are their new range: http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...1&x=12&y=17&cm_re=Homepage-_-Promo2-_-HUTCHES

I hope they change their advice and retrain their staff in this, I remember being told last year that a 4ft indoor cage was fine for 2 rabbits :roll:

Yes I spotted this happy hutch look alike yesterday :D Riverside P@H had a 6ft version out and a 6ft single hutch out front :D

Now all we need is for them to remove the 4/3ft hutches! and then the 5fts :lol:

ooh and I saw the Tulip one at the Wellingborough store a couple of days ago :D

My friend sent me a picture of one ....

00dea9e9.jpg

Back