• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating!!!

I have dwarf loop who is five years old,
who last week had his teeth rasped while under anesthetic. The first two days affter he was fine, but has since stopped eating!
We have taken him to the vets who have given us pain killers and a drug that is ment to help get his stomache moving.
We are also syringe feeding him fibreover paste.
:cry:Its been five days now of doing this.
Does any one have any advice?????

Has it been 5 days since he has eaten anything? If this is the case he needs a vet now and needs to be admitted as he will be seriously ill and dehydrated.

I have dwarf loop who is five years old,
who last week had his teeth rasped while under anesthetic. The first two days affter he was fine, but has since stopped eating!
We have taken him to the vets who have given us pain killers and a drug that is ment to help get his stomache moving.
We are also syringe feeding him fibreover paste.
:cry:Its been five days now of doing this.
Does any one have any advice?????

A rabbit not eating is very serious. If it were me, I would take it to a rabbit-savvy ('exotics') vet as soon as possible.

rabbit not eating

He has had the fibre paste that we have been syringe feeding him with.
Up to 4 times a day!!
But is not eating his normal food, pellets,pears,greens.
Have heard a lot about sub cut fluids??? would you recomend?
And we have a healthy rabbit and was thinking of giving him his moring poo?

Sounds like he needs to be admitted if he is still not eating after 4 days. The longer he doesn't eat the less likely he is to recover from this. Are your vets rabbit savvy? If not I would suggest looking for a different vets.

Your bunny needs a vet NOW!
If you are only syringing Fiberplex that is not enough he needs a recovery food too to keep his gut moving, once a bunnies gut slowes down it is VITAL to keep some movement as if they come to a complete halt they are in serious trouble. If you dont have any recovery food but the vet has rulled out a blockage then you can try mashing up his usual pellets with water and see if he will take it willingly, if not then further water down and syring it in. Alternativly you could use a vegetarian baby food for example apple and pear. Just make sure there is not meat or dairy as buunies can not digest them

Your bunny needs a vet NOW!
If you are only syringing Fiberplex that is not enough he needs a recovery food too to keep his gut moving, once a bunnies gut slowes down it is VITAL to keep some movement as if they come to a complete halt they are in serious trouble. If you dont have any recovery food but the vet has rulled out a blockage then you can try mashing up his usual pellets with water and see if he will take it willingly, if not then further water down and syring it in. Alternativly you could use a vegetarian baby food for example apple and pear. Just make sure there is not meat or dairy as buunies can not digest them

THis is good advice, sadly not all vets are great with rabbits and agood vet will be needed in this case.

I have a rabbit prone to going off her food and when it happens she gets infacol (can be bought at a supermarket and helps break up gas but it's maybe not gas that your rabbit has), metacam (pain killer), Metoclopramide (gut stimulant), fibreplex (high fibre paste with added probiotic) and we give her frequent tummy rubs and encourage her to move around. She had one of her episodes last night as it happens but it's become so easy to spot an onset with her now we can turn her around by treating he at home nomally. If bunny hasn't eaten in 4 days though that's a vet job and I would ask for sub-cut fluids as well as others have said.

bunny not eating

I have just got back from the vet (the nearest rabbit savy one is about an hour drive ).
And they said he is not dehydrated, so no fluids given!
But they said all we could do was to continue to syringe feed him, and give him his pain relief
and metoclopramide.
He has been eating a little in the last couple of days,lavenda from garden and some leaves.
We have also been ginving him the infacol as recomended on here.
And last night syringed in water mixed with piapple juice.
still no normal poo yet tho!
Think thats all we can do now??? Unless any other ideas???

So to clarify he has had pain relief and metaclopramide via injection and you are syringe feeding with Fibreplex qnd a recovery feed?

rabbit not eating!

So to clarify he has had pain relief and metaclopramide via injection and you are syringe feeding with Fibreplex qnd a recovery feed?

Injection for pain when teeth first done, but now buy syringe and same for metaclopramide.
And recovery paste, but not fiberplex.
What is fiberplex??? And were can we get it??

Fibreplex is an orange paste that's fibrous with good bacteria and helps keep bunnies guts moving. I'm not sure if you can order it from the internet but it might be too late by then. To be honest I think this an emergency, I can't believe your bunny won't be dehydrated after 4 days and will be very weak after very little food. It's also a concern that your bunny has not pood. If you can't get to the vet that's an hour away I would at least ring them and tell them everything but you might need to find a way to get there. My bunny Ted has been hospitalised twice in the last month with this problem (gut stasis) and the vet puts him straight onto IV fluids with metaclop in it as it works much better in an infusion. Have they given you metacam? It's a pain killer and he will need it.

I hope your bunny is ok but I strongly advise ringing to speak to the other vet that knows about rabbits.

Bunny eating!!!!

Fibreplex is an orange paste that's fibrous with good bacteria and helps keep bunnies guts moving. I'm not sure if you can order it from the internet but it might be too late by then. To be honest I think this an emergency, I can't believe your bunny won't be dehydrated after 4 days and will be very weak after very little food. It's also a concern that your bunny has not pood. If you can't get to the vet that's an hour away I would at least ring them and tell them everything but you might need to find a way to get there. My bunny Ted has been hospitalised twice in the last month with this problem (gut stasis) and the vet puts him straight onto IV fluids with metaclop in it as it works much better in an infusion. Have they given you metacam? It's a pain killer and he will need it.

I hope your bunny is ok but I strongly advise ringing to speak to the other vet that knows about rabbits.

Thanks so much for your advice, but just last night ernie started eating!!
And has been eating this moring(his pellets).
And he has pooed.
What a turn around.
He has had metacam from the start, but i think it was goin to the vets yesterday who upped his dose of the stomache moving stuff.
He has also started drinking (lots).
I think i will get some of the fiberplex you mentioned tho.
Thanks everyone for your help.xxxxxxxxxxx
Ernie also said thanks.xxxxx

Thanks so much for your advice, but just last night ernie started eating!!
And has been eating this moring(his pellets).
And he has pooed.
What a turn around.
He has had metacam from the start, but i think it was goin to the vets yesterday who upped his dose of the stomache moving stuff.
He has also started drinking (lots).
I think i will get some of the fiberplex you mentioned tho.
Thanks everyone for your help.xxxxxxxxxxx
Ernie also said thanks.xxxxx

I'm surprised and relieved your bunny has turned himself around, that's great news :D. Please keep a very close eye on him as I have learned from my own experience recently that it is not uncommon for bunnies to relapse in the 2 to 3 weeks after. Fingers crossed for Ernie x

Back