• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gas-prone bunny

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi,

One of my two buns - Charlie - has had several episodes of gassiness over 3 years. The last one was yesterday - I took him to my usual vet and he said he sounded a bit gassy, but was pooping by then and ate when he got home. He has been like this several times before. The day and night before he had only had hay and small amount of pellets - no veg/herbs that day.

Do you think he would benefit from either VetCarePlus Digestive food, or Protexin Profibre. My vet said he was a bit unsure - but said that the Protexin Profibre wouldn't do any harm - he just said that as he's quite a good hay eater, it wasn't necessarily needed....

Anybody any ideas?:shock: I'm always quick to notice it with him as I now make my two eat their pellets separately, just for this reason (so I can see what's going on). Also, they are both house rabbits.

Last edited:
I have no suggestions regarding diet but my bun Fiver started getting gassy all of a sudden and he only has Excel pellets and hay. His tummy would gurgle and make some god awful noises and he would sit and grind his teeth, refuse food and not poo. Turns out he needed a dental. Has your bun had his teeth checked?

Pea and Pod are both 'gassy' and for no apparent reason will have a bout of stasis. As a precaution, I give Protexin Profibre pellets (simply because they contain a probiotic which I feel must help a little bit) and I also feed fresh dill every morning (dill is one of the ingredients in gripe water). Mine are pretty good hay eaters and I never vary their veg so I don't really know what sets them off. I don't know if the protexin or dill helps but it makes me feel better! I'm lucky because I always have Metacam in stock so I can also give that and Infacol if they show the first signs of gas and that usually gets them over it pretty quickly.

Harley had three epidsodes of stasis in 9 months, he had some small spurs on his teeth which have been seen to, but we also bought him a much bigger hutch and run to help him stretch his muscles more and he does seem happier. We also have a stock of metacam, empermid and infacol to give him or the others if they have a funny turn.

Hi :wave: I was sorry to read you are having problems with one of your buns. I have a house rabbit too, but my first one unfortunately died after a very bad bout of stasis.

I am no expert at all and would hate to advise you to do anything because your Vet will be able to give you the best advice.

However, following the loss of Basil I personally encourage as much Hay as possible as I believe this is so important -Basil wasn't a big Hay eater compared to the rabbit we have now. I also keep a bottle of infacol on hand (I have never used it but I think I would in an emergency if I thought that Twinkle was getting bloated and I couldn't get him to the vet immediately). I waited two hours to get Basil to the vet and it was too long for him:cry: Not entirely my fault but I still feel bad about it.

I am not sure about VetCarePlus Digestive food, or Protexin Profibre as I have only used Protexin Profibre when prescribed.

It's good that you are so quick to notice changes in your bun, as this can be critical. With Twinkle sometimes he does go off his herbs and nuggets for perhaps part of the day but then I notice he seems to eat even more Hay. So I don't worry too much because I believe Hay is the most important thing. However if this continued for more than 24 hours I would know this is not normal for him.

Sorry I cannot offer more advice. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge.

I have no suggestions regarding diet but my bun Fiver started getting gassy all of a sudden and he only has Excel pellets and hay. His tummy would gurgle and make some god awful noises and he would sit and grind his teeth, refuse food and not poo. Turns out he needed a dental. Has your bun had his teeth checked?

Yes, vet checked them again yesterday - said they were fine!:?

Pea and Pod are both 'gassy' and for no apparent reason will have a bout of stasis. As a precaution, I give Protexin Profibre pellets (simply because they contain a probiotic which I feel must help a little bit) and I also feed fresh dill every morning (dill is one of the ingredients in gripe water). Mine are pretty good hay eaters and I never vary their veg so I don't really know what sets them off. I don't know if the protexin or dill helps but it makes me feel better! I'm lucky because I always have Metacam in stock so I can also give that and Infacol if they show the first signs of gas and that usually gets them over it pretty quickly.

Oh thanks - I will get some Dill in. I have infocol in the house anyway - I actually got it for the rabbits (just in case) but have a baby and toddler in the house aswell, so would be useful:D I think I will get some Protexin - just, as you say, because it does make you feel better!

[
Hi :wave: I was sorry to read you are having problems with one of your buns. I have a house rabbit too, but my first one unfortunately died after a very bad bout of stasis.

I am no expert at all and would hate to advise you to do anything because your Vet will be able to give you the best advice.

However, following the loss of Basil I personally encourage as much Hay as possible as I believe this is so important -Basil wasn't a big Hay eater compared to the rabbit we have now. I also keep a bottle of infacol on hand (I have never used it but I think I would in an emergency if I thought that Twinkle was getting bloated and I couldn't get him to the vet immediately). I waited two hours to get Basil to the vet and it was too long for him:cry: Not entirely my fault but I still feel bad about it.

I am not sure about VetCarePlus Digestive food, or Protexin Profibre as I have only used Protexin Profibre when prescribed.

It's good that you are so quick to notice changes in your bun, as this can be critical. With Twinkle sometimes he does go off his herbs and nuggets for perhaps part of the day but then I notice he seems to eat even more Hay. So I don't worry too much because I believe Hay is the most important thing. However if this continued for more than 24 hours I would know this is not normal for him.

Sorry I cannot offer more advice. Hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge.

Oh thanks - that's very useful - I'm sure you did the very best you could and I'm so sorry about your little Basil:cry:

Just be aware that not all spurs can be seen with a scope, especially if you have a wiggly bun :lol: They are probably fine but it's always worth a check. I've heard keeping Infacol is good like the other people have said, although I don't have any of this as Fiver hasn't been off his food or in pain since his dental..*touch wood*.I think it was also a culmination of things; he lost his partner in November last year, as a result I changed his hay as a big bale was going to waste on him, he was also a lot less active with it being winter and not having the interaction of another bun all the time as well has his teeth bothering him. I hope you find a cause but some just get it unfortunately.

Just be aware that not all spurs can be seen with a scope, especially if you have a wiggly bun :lol: They are probably fine but it's always worth a check. I've heard keeping Infacol is good like the other people have said, although I don't have any of this as Fiver hasn't been off his food or in pain since his dental..*touch wood*.I think it was also a culmination of things; he lost his partner in November last year, as a result I changed his hay as a big bale was going to waste on him, he was also a lot less active with it being winter and not having the interaction of another bun all the time as well has his teeth bothering him. I hope you find a cause but some just get it unfortunately.

He was actually pretty good at the vets - amazingly!!!

I think you may be right about some just getting it. I just think that the same thing has happened several times over 3 years - I will just have to be extra vigilent (though I think I am already):D

I hope your Fiver doesn't do it again!!!!

Back