• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

exploding hoomins

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everybun.:wave: I'm Benjie Bun Bun.
This is me.
DSCF00421-1.jpg

I want to tell you about my hoomin. Last w/e my hoomin got snuffles with explosions. Honest, it was like a megaton bomb going off & hurt my ears so bad I hid under the bed.
The good news is that they don't actually explode. It's called coughing & sneezing. Us uppy eared buns can just put our ears away folded on our backs but lops can't do much about it.
Another thing is that the humans get so crabby, stopping us doing bunny 500's over the bed, & they're such wimps. They don't want to play anymore, take to their beds all day & night.
So my advice to all you buns is that if your hoomin gets like that - go off somewhere quietly & contemplate a carrot.

Ginger: Hiiiiiiiis Benjie! :wave:

I am a snotty bun anyway and i doos my own explooshuns! My nose does hurtz and dis white gunky stuff comes outs. I doos more sneezies than any hoomin can!

Hopes your eearsis have recovered!! I'm a lop but i makes my ears goos everywheres!

Your hoomin sounds silly, stopping yoos doing da bunny 500's :shock: thats just not on! Buts i guess its will be normal soons!

Biscuit: *wipes Ginger's discharge off his back* :roll:

Oooo proud & hansome - that's nice.
Yep, I'm a snotty bunny too. Ginger, you can fool the vet into stopping your meds if you clean the woggies with the bottom of your paws. They always look for snot on the inside of our front legs. ;)

I hope you feel better soon! Both of you are snotty, what a pair you are. :lol:

(Not that me and Grim can talk...)

Annabelle: Hi Benji, nice to meet yoos! I has dis pwoblem with my hoomin. She doos 'plosions and tis so loud, hurts my earses. When I hears the loud ones I runs away in case tis dangers, but Barney jus sits cos he duzzent hear dem. He isnt scared of da big nasty hoover either, it iz a howwible monster dat roars but he tries to make fwends with it. Stoopid Barney, one time it tried to suck him up! I iz the smart one, I hides. Doos yoos has a hoover? Barney does 'plosions too sometimes, lots of 'plosions in a row, luckily I duzzent get snotted on though Biccy, dat gwoss! And Benji, wen I iz loud when mummy sleepsin, I gets apple sticksies and noms so I iz quiet, if you iz very loud and doos lots of bunny 500s den you mite get sticksies!

Last edited:
Annabelle: Hi Benji, nice to meet yoos! I has dis pwoblem with my hoomin. She doos 'plosions and tis so loud, hurts my earses. When I hears the loud ones I runs away in case tis dangers, but Barney jus sits cos he duzzent hear dem. He isnt scared of da big nasty hoover either, it iz a howwible monster dat roars but he tries to make fwends with it. Stoopid Barney, one time it tried to suck him up! I iz the smart one, I hides. Doos yoos has a hoover? Barney does 'plosions too sometimes, lots of 'plosions in a row, luckily I duzzent get snotted on though Biccy, dat gwoss! And Benji, wen I iz loud when mummy sleepsin, I gets apple sticksies and noms so I iz quiet, if you iz very loud and doos lots of bunny 500s den you mite get sticksies!

Ooooo Anabelle you is gorgeous. :love::love::love::love::love::love:
Yes my hoomin has a hoover, but I know how to kill it dead with one bite, so she locks me in the kitchen whenever she gets the hoover out. :( I was only trying to protect her from the nasty monster thing. That's hoomin gratitude for you.:roll:)

Tell you what. My hoomin gives me lovely fresh rabbit noms from the field all the time. Today I had starters of rocket then main course of goosegrass, & brambles & pudders of borage, mayweed, chickweed & a coltsfoot flower!
Do you fancy an evening at my pad, & share some of my noms?
My hoomin wouldn't notice. She just tops up my bowls when they get empty.

Annabelle: Ooh fankyoos Benji, I do spend lots of time grooming my mane . Yoos iz a very handsome bunny too!

I would loves to come visit and share yoos noms, yoo are very spolit Benji! I loves wild noms but my hoomin isnt vewy good at findin dem! We has hawthorne but tis all dried up and not as yummy now. I's had bramble leafs and stickyweeds before but none of dem others!

Yoo must teach me how to kill the hoover monster Benji!

By the way Thumps, it just occured to me, do you feed pellets or is all the wild food enough?

:oops: I don't know whether I'm allowed on this thread. :oops:

Nessar, you'd laugh at what I'm seeing happening for the 2nd time, but yes I offer pellets, & actually free feed them in moderation because we know Benjie is still growing but we have no idea what his final size will be. He looks very Beveran which would be an 8-10 pounder bunny but he could be crossed with something much smaller.

7 years ago when I 1st put Thumper out to grass, he stopped eating his pellets in preference to grass although he was still growing. As his gut slowly deteriorated with absorption issues he'd top up with pellets, & changed his selection of forage plants.

As I increase Benjie's fresh forage foods gradually, he's "gone off" his pellets, & only eats a couple of eggcupfuls a day most days now. I think house rabbits need the extra vit D3 for good bone growth to make up for the lack of UV light coming through windows. I'm finding that Benjie is like Thumper, but eats a much wider selection, which varies slightly from day to day. Some plants have to be treats because there aren't many available!

It's all very open to discussion, but my own experience is that given selection of wild plants only most rabbits will eat what they need. This doen't apply to the high sugar/protein content of human veg selectively bred over the centuries for these characteristics, (as well as low fiber). The wild precursors of some human veg exist out in the wild, but are quite uncommon because they are eaten avidly by herbivours, before they can seed.

Herbviours are "hard wired" to select them. That very rare boost to their nutrition could make the difference between survival over winter, or the health of a litter of young. I've a nasty suspicion that manufacturers add mollasses to the pellets, to capitalise on this instinctive selection of high sugar foods. I can only say that my boys seem able to overide it when offered fresh food, but not dry. No idea why.

I'm surprised that hawthorn & bramble seem to be a large part of wildie diet when they can get it. The big difference is the nature of the fiber - lignin rather than cellulose. Plantains supply a further type of "non digestable" mucilage. The nutrient content is negligable in tree leaves but these non digestables seem to improve gut throughput (transit time) so they are less stasis prone, & can eat more of their natural low nutrient foods - hay, grass, etc. making them less susceptable to dysbiosis.

Yes, they can live without pellets, particularly if they spend over an hour a day outside.
There weren't pellets when I was a child, or vet care for rabbits, & our buns lived to ripe old ages of up to 13 years! They do need a good mix of good quality hays, with plenty of grass types, & a good mix of forage foods -about 3-4 times as much as human veg. Neither were all the different breeds available to the ordinary people. Our pets mainly came from the fur & meat farms.

I think that it isn't feasable for the majority of people to feed a totally foraged diet, unless we live very close to the country. also the use of herbicides & artificial fertilizers has decimated the wild plants since I was a child. :cry:

TBH my heart is heavy that I now have another bunny who cannot eat hay, although he loves it. Whatever I do to it, the small amount of dust in it triggers his snuffles, despite continuous ABx. I couldn't control the snuffles until I got all the hay out of the house! It's hard work & very time consuming to find enough forage, with good variety for both their daily needs & to dry enough to over winter. I'm going to try to grow some herbs as a supplement this year. Dry plants & tree leaves seem to be much less dusty than hay.

I still can't believe that Thumper survived 6+ years with TB of his gut, on forage + pellets, maintaining weight & coat condition to the end, to the extent that I had a bust up with a new experienced exotics vet in an exotics center who refused to believe there was anything wrong with him only 6 months before he died!!!:oops:

Benjie is growing well despite generalised pastuerella with abscessation, now in remission.

I'd say if your bun is healthy on the standard diet, why change? or just add in a small amount of forage - a handful daily. If you have a sick bunny AND much to the point it's practicable it's likely that wild forage improves the outlook of some conditions, especially stasis.
I suppose it's up to us to see what it does for pastuerellosis.

In the early days Pretty Lupin said, "The caecum is the heart of bunny health". I didn't "get it", but as the months & years elapsed both of us were astounded by the truth of that statement.
I suspect what what foraged foods do, is to maintain the health of the caecal microorganisms & general gut contractility to an optimum level.
:oops::oops::oops::oops: OMG is that the longest post on record? Hope it answers your question.

Thank you Thumps, that's really interesting.

Have you tried wetting the hay so it isnt as dusty? Or either readigrass or fresh cut grass? It must be such work collecting all the wild food for Benjie, hopefully he'll be able to go outside in the summer and do some of the foraging for you in the garden!

I've read your posts before about when Thumper would choose the foods he needed and it fascinated me. Its so interesting that now Benjie is starting to do so too.

I havent noticed it much in my own bunnies, and Barney will eat pretty much anything he can get his paws on. I assume this is because they dont have a large selection of wild foods. But a few days ago I offered dried 'Coneflower', which I think it echinacea and is an immune support. He's never refused it before, but I hadnt bought it for a while, and he refused to eat it. I noticed his snuffles starting to play up again today, his eyes were running slightly, and when I offered it he ate it. I'm not sure whether it was just coincidence or whether he 'knew' he needed it somehow.

I think Annabella would probably be a lot better at choosing her own foods if she had the choice, she has always preferred the forage stuff compared to 'human veg', in fact it took a long time for her to eat veg at all, and she'll regularly turn her nose up at it but she'll go nuts for the natural stuff. In the future, when I have my own garden, I hope to grow a lot of these so I always have a steady supply.

I find the idea that they 'know' what they need amazing, but it makes sense. Really, they are not that far removed from their wild ancestors in instinct. If you do find that a natural diet or certain foods are helping Benjie's snuffles, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you fifibutton. I think he looks gorgeous too. :oops: but TBH I'd said I'd have him, before I knew what he looked like. I couldn't bear the thought of a young bun waiting for months for a decent home.

I was well equipped by my experience with Thumper to try most things with hay. I even "winnowed out" some dust then covered a thin layer with net curtain & tried to hoover out the rest. Benjie obviously likes his hay but has learned that if he goes near it it makes his snuffles worse. I tried the compacted dry grass cakes for horses but once the surface has been broken they are very dusty too.
Damping hay made it unpalatable.
He really likes grass which I am introducing very slowly because spring growth really sets off dysbiosis badly in many herbivours. Currently his main stay is goosegrass/cleavers/sticky willy(as I know it).
Marie (vet) once told me that buns find it more difficult to distinguish what they need when it's dried. Indeed they are more likely to eat a poisonous plant if it's dried.

Unlike Thumper, Benjie will eat any rabbit safe plant offered so far except the nettle family - even red dead nettle.
He arrived with mild dysbiosis, which I intended to correct by a hay only diet. Benjie made a bee line for the box of dried sloe leaves. He ate about 10 the 1st day, a handful the second & there was no stopping him by the 3rd day. There were no uneaten caecals by then, but he very gradually tailed off his consumption of sloe leaves. He hasn't eaten any for about 3 weeks now! Thumper also had this pattern of seemingly "knowing" what to try - having a small amount at 1st to determine the effects, & then going all out for it.

A vet nurse did a PhD study comparing the behaviour of wild & domestic rabbits & found very little difference between the 2.
I ask really daft questions. :oops::lol: When i thought about how wildie babies spend their 1st 3 weeks down a stop & Mum only visits daily for a quick feed then doesn't come back, how do the kits even know they are rabbits when they 1st emerge from the stop; let alone know what to eat, what a predator is, & the important complex social behaviour of the colony? Thumper's complex needs diverted me somewhat into the food aspect.
Over time I found the most accurate way to assess his gut motility was to observe what he ate, & adjust his medication accordingly. It was the only way to avoid repeated ileus.

Now, with Benjie & snuffles I have a different food index. He will eat worryingly large amounts of willow twigs (pain relief & antiinflammatory similar to aspirin) when he gets bunged up just before a relapse.
Coltsfoot is only in flower in spring (no leaves). I can't believe how avidly he devoured those few flowers I brought home! I've now ordered some dried leaves. When I researched the properties of coltsfoot it's said to be good for human coughs!!!!! I'm fascinated too. I reckon that doctors should be taught their therapeutics by rabbits!:lol:

I must let Benjie have a chat with Anabelle soon. He's totally besotted with her!.

Very handsome boy. :love: I'm glad he is pleased with his noms. :thumb: My Spenser is always complaining about his (apart from one or two, which he will happily eat at any hour of the day or night). H elikes all the veg with a high calciumn content, like curly kale and parsley.

Back