• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bought another bale of hay...

nessar

Warren Veteran
And they're not eating it!

They seem to like it and are fairly enthusiastic when I give it to them, but the quantity they are eating is not enough, half as much as usual. It is the same hay, from the same farm as last time, and they liked that stuff! It looks similar, the last one had greener patches as it hadnt long been made, but if anything this stuff looks nicer and smells nicer. It was also more expensive at £10 a bale (was 6) as they charged me delivery this time.

They have been on exclusively 'treat' hay for 3 weeks now... could they just be being fussy because I've gotten them used to nicer hays?

I dont know whether to leave it there and see if they start eating it, or order some treat hays. *sigh*

edit: thought I'd add that its not teeth related I dont think, as had them checked last week.

I'd persist personally. If you've been feeding them solely treat hay, they had been being spoilt. Now they are protesting! They will eat it, they are just being like children!

Thanks Graham.

This is the third day they've had it so was getting a little worried as their poops are smaller and darker because of the lack of hay eating, so I gave them a bowl of mixed treat hays and readigrass to just test its not their appetites/teeth etc and they've been shoving each others faces out the way trying to get to get to the good bits :roll: so nothing wrong with their appetites!

I think you're right and they're just throwing their toys out of the pram! It's just weird as Annabelle has never been fussy with hay before, well not with nice hay anyway.

I have the same problem here. We bought four bales of hay cut from a wildflower meadow which the bunnies adored. But two of the bales that we bought have got water damaged and we dare not use them in case of any mould, toxins etc. So we ended up getting a regular farmyard bale from the pet shop we used to use. The clearly do not think much of this change in diet and I'm sure they are holding out for tastier noms when they come inside of an evening (Jolleyes meadow hay, crunchies etc).:evil:

Oh dear, I'm sure eventually they'll stop kicking up a fuss.
Buckley developed a taste of alfalfa king timothy hay over christmas... took a while but we got him back on the Ings hay eventually.

Back