• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH No.. sweet potato - will they be ok?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
As ive broken my ankle - my boyfriend has been tending to the rabbits, hes done his best but this morning and yesterday morning he gave them sweet potato and butternut squash?..:cry:
The buns have their own compartment in the fridge but because my mum put my shopping away for me I didn't realise she put ALL the veg in the buns bit (the bit I said to my OH everything is ok for them)... Its only when I went to steam some sweet potato and squash for Jack that I realised!! I should have checked its my own fault!!

The last few days they've had expensive strawberries an all sorts!! :?..

Ive been checking on them once a day for a quick chat and health check and they have been ok... is a bit of sweet potato going to be ok?

I am sure sweet potato is fine, it is not the same as ordinary potato.

I think i will come and be a bun in your house for awhile is they are getting sweet potato and strawberries :D

I hope you ankle is feeling better very soon otherwise bunnies are going to turn their nose up at carrot and cabbage in a few weeks!

As long as its just a tiny bit, it should be okay, but i'd keep a huge eye on them, as potato if i remember rightly has some kind of toxin in it that rabbits don't tolerate very well at all.

I think a small amount is okay, I've only fed a couple of peelings, and I know Tamsin has fed Scamp peelings too.

As long as its just a tiny bit, it should be okay, but i'd keep a huge eye on them, as potato if i remember rightly has some kind of toxin in it that rabbits don't tolerate very well at all.

Sweet potato doesn't have toxins in like red or white potatoes so its fine in that respect, its just high in sugar

ah phew thanks a lot ...

Yes they've had their fair share of treats this week - they do get strawberries occasionally but not as many and 2 days running!! - the absolutely love them so hope they dont get too used to my OH feeding them :roll:
I've also had to watch his pellet rations!!

Squash is listed as a safe to feed veg on the RWAF website. Probably shouldnt feed much though as I think its quite sugary.
Hope they have enjoyed their feast and are ok.

Sorry you have an alarm over this, but it seems you have good reason to be reassured.

Spenser loves a Tuesday as I work late and he has his tea from his grandparents. I'm sure he has extra pellets from them. ;)

Back