• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can someone tell me if this is allowed?

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
Mike has been to the vet's this morning with one of our buns and he passed a Nursery (as in young children and not plants) and day centre and they have a proper sign up saying 'Baby rabbits for sale', Mike said he passed last year and they had the sign up, obviously they have rabbits for the kids and they are breeding from them surely this can't be right. Does anyone know if it is allowed before I look into it .

Thank You.

It'll probably just be another BYB type setup, they aren't actually doing anything 'wrong' so to speak, just not ethically correct as far as people such as us who are concerned with rabbit welfare are concerned.

However, don't schools etc have to have a type of license to have livestock etc on site, i would assume rabbits would be included in that?

I don't know Graham about the license but I will find out, I would have liked to have thought if they did have rabbits it was to teach the children to respect and be kind to animals not breed them :(

I don't know Graham about the license but I will find out, I would have liked to have thought if they did have rabbits it was to teach the children to respect and be kind to animals not breed them :(

I doubt it, it'd be more to let them see 'cute fluffy bunny rabbits' with no regard to their welfare. However, as always, i am Mr Cynical.

I have been told this nursery is also selling baby Guinea pigs as well as rabbits, so I have looked the nursery up and rang the council in that area and we are now waiting for the man from animal welfare to ring us back as he was busy.

I have been told this nursery is also selling baby Guinea pigs as well as rabbits, so I have looked the nursery up and rang the council in that area and we are now waiting for the man from animal welfare to ring us back as he was busy.

:(

Hope an inspector shows up and sort this out.

Good on you :wave:

It's so sad. :( Well done for contacting the council! Here's hoping something is done!

I don't think they need a petshop licence if they aren't trying to make a profit. Plus the conditions required for an animal under pet shop licencing rules are quite dire anyway in comparison to the 6X2X2, they may be using the bunnies to teach about welfare but also about reproduction etc and as stated above, one persons welfare isn't the next persons. They may think that it's enough to teach the children to clean out and give fresh food / water everyday rather than getting involved with the ethicacy of breeding. Maybe you could send the school some welfare leaflets and suggest they might want to get involved in the 'make it a chocolate' campaign. You never know, they might go for it.

I don't think they need a petshop licence if they aren't trying to make a profit. Plus the conditions required for an animal under pet shop licencing rules are quite dire anyway in comparison to the 6X2X2, they may be using the bunnies to teach about welfare but also about reproduction etc and as stated above, one persons welfare isn't the next persons. They may think that it's enough to teach the children to clean out and give fresh food / water everyday rather than getting involved with the ethicacy of breeding. Maybe you could send the school some welfare leaflets and suggest they might want to get involved in the 'make it a chocolate' campaign. You never know, they might go for it.

If the baby rabbits were 'free' then no, there would be no profit. They are however 'for sale'.

The animal welfare guy has rang us and he said that they do check this place out once or twice a year, and the owners have said that sometimes the rabbits and guinea pigs get in with each other by accident and the result is babies and so because it is not a profitable business and just an accident they are doing nothing wrong.
The animal welfare guy thought we were breeders as he said it's mostly breeders and pet shops that complain about the nursery selling baby rabbits and guinea pigs :shock:

Isn't it funny how the rabbits and guinea pigs got in with each other last year about the same time to..

Mike explained to the welfare guy about telling the owners to think about getting his rabbits neutered and spayed and then there will be no more accident's.....:roll:

Last edited:
It is wrong but I think they would be able to say they weren't making a profit as the funds from the baby bunnies went back into paying for their upkeep:cry: I cannot imagine any nursery wanting to breed animals, they have enough to do without adding 'breeding' to it. We often have the caterpillars in our nursery and the children get to watch them grow, change and eventually turn into butterflies. That is lovely because they are also helping the environment. We have had ladybirds and tadpoles too for the same reason.

I know for a fact our nursery wouldn't consider a pet rabbit (let alone breeding them) for the fear of getting sued if he/she bit (which I'm sure they would feel like doing after being surrounded by 26 rowdy children). I hope you get some help from somewhere with this:wave:

At first I thought you were saying to rabbits and guniea pigs impregnated each other by getting in with each other. :oops:

Seriously, animal welfare my bum :(

At first I thought you were saying to rabbits and guniea pigs impregnated each other by getting in with each other. :oops:

Seriously, animal welfare my bum :(

So did i!! :oops: :lol:

But yes, welfare officer and lack of welfare rules, a standard, i would assume.

We think it's very odd that they have a very professional painted sign to advertise 'Baby rabbits and guinea pigs' for sale if it's just an accident that happens now and then, and also that the sign was up advertising them last year around this time as well.

We think it's very odd that they have a very professional painted sign to advertise 'Baby rabbits and guinea pigs' for sale if it's just an accident that happens now and then, and also that the sign was up advertising them last year around this time as well.

Take a photo, date it, if the same happens again next year you have proof it isn't an 'accident'...hey they could always go get the animals neutered...surely that would be beneficial too since female buns unneautered can be moody and a nice nip to a child wouldn't be in their best interest :roll:.

Well done for trying, so frustrating :( x

Take a photo, date it, if the same happens again next year you have proof it isn't an 'accident'...hey they could always go get the animals neutered...surely that would be beneficial too since female buns unneautered can be moody and a nice nip to a child wouldn't be in their best interest :roll:.

Well done for trying, so frustrating :( x

I may just print out some leaflets on getting rabbits neutered/spayed and put them in an envelope and post it off to them, I've got their address.

You could always pop in for a chat with the headteacher to educate her on the problems of breeding indiscriminately. Take along some photographs of genetic health problems caused by not knowing histories, statistics on how many buns end up in rescue, how many are neglected, how many are PTS because the owners are now bored. If accommodation isn't upto scratch invite them round to see your accommodation. Offer to give health checks and nail clipping and show them how to properly sex their rabbits and guineas qnd information them of the benefits of neutering. Maybe they could spend the profits of the breeding on neutering.

Maybe they are just unaware as I can't see breeding being a particularly big money spinner unless they are doing it on a large scale.

If I was you, I would go in and pretend to be interested in buying a bun. Ask why they are for sale and see if you can't get them to admit they are doing it on purpose. If they were an accident then why would they be selling them? Most people simply advertise unwanted litters as "free to good home" or give them to a pet shop as they want "rid" asap. Selling them would indicate that they are wanting to make a profit and so they shouldn't be allowed to sell them.
If they say they are accidental litters then advise them to get the buns neutered and spayed and offer some advice on good vets and if they want further info on bunnies to email/ring you ;)

ETA: Woops seems someone beat me to the punch while I was typing :lol:

Back