• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Rack v's Litter Tray U/D Pics for Graham :)

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
We have always used a hay rack with the little tray under. But over the last few days the bunnies didn't seem to be eating loads of hay so I just put their hay into the litter tray and they are happily munching away as I type. What does everyone else do? I was always worried about them weeing and pooing on their hay.

EmmySleeping2.jpg

EmmySleeping.jpg

Last edited:
Its much more natural to just have the hay around them at their feed, to dig in, burrow through and forage in. We only have hay in the two litter trays in their environment.

Why do you worry abuot them peeing and pooing on the hay?

Its much more natural to just have the hay around them at their feed, to dig in, burrow through and forage in. We only have hay in the two litter trays in their environment.

Why do you worry abuot them peeing and pooing on the hay?

Thanks Graham. I'm not sure why I am so worired about it. Maybe because I don't want them eating dirty hay :?

Thanks Graham. I'm not sure why I am so worired about it. Maybe because I don't want them eating dirty hay :?

They won't eat hay they don't want to eat :)

Ginger eats every strand she can get her mouth into, Biscuit is more fussy, but both just eat what they want to and as i refresh the hay 4-5 times a day (i know thats not viable for all) they are never short of fresh hay.

I will give it a go putting it in their litter trays and see if that encourages more hay eating. I am scared that I have caused Emmy to get the sharp bit on her tooth by not providing hay in the correct way :(

How often do you change the litter trays?

I will give it a go putting it in their litter trays and see if that encourages more hay eating. I am scared that I have caused Emmy to get the sharp bit on her tooth by not providing hay in the correct hay :(

Twice a day here :wave:

Might also be worth trying some different hays to add variety and interest :D

I will give it a go putting it in their litter trays and see if that encourages more hay eating. I am scared that I have caused Emmy to get the sharp bit on her tooth by not providing hay in the correct way :(

As i said on your other thread, sometimes, no matter how much hay she eats, she may get spurs. Ginger has 3 that grow outwards on the side of her teeth (1 left, 2 right i think), no amount of hay helps with that. She also has roots that grow into her jaw, as many poorly bred bunnies do :(

What happened in the past isn't important, it's how you act now you know there is a potential problem that is important. Being scared isn't going to change the fact she has developed a small spur :)

I change their litter trays every 3 days completely (newspaper, megazorb, hay) and remove 'dead hay' at the end of every day.

I would always have hay in their litter tray, even if it's just a cheap hay. If you also feed an expensive hay you could put that in a hay rack above to cut down on wastage.

my eddie used to like it near his tray so he could multi-task by pooping and nomming at the same time!!

:wave:

Just thought I would pop in and say I have a dental bunny and he is 100% hay bunny and i have been informed his spurs are genetic as opposed to diet related its just one of those things with bunnys - I dont think it would be due to the way you feed the hay. With regards to dirty hay I know im not the only one whose bunny hops into the bucket when youre cleaning out and happily munches on the "dirty" hay youve swept up - as Graham said they wont eat hay they dont want too eat :)

With regards to the amount of hay I best not comment as people dont believe I have one mini lop the amount we get through :shock:

I do also recommend Fluffers apple and pear twigs for helping to wear those teeth down ... :thumb:

Back