• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

storing hay

I tried using one of those, they fit a bale of hay (at a squeeze) but I found it went mouldy at the bottom because there was no proper airflow. Ideally you need to put it on a wooden pallet so that air can circulate underneath it. I store a bale in my shed and then break off a slice and bag it in a feed sack so it is not messy and easier to distribute. If you haven't got a shed or garage to store it I would try and find something wooden so it doesn't get sweaty and is more natural.

I used one of those for a few years with no problems - perhaps it depends on how quickly you get through it as to whether the airflow is a problem?

I've had 1 of these for about 10yrs now and my hay has always been fine in it never got damp or mouldy

i think i'll give it a go and see for now-at least until i can afford somethin else-thanks:wave:

Back