• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boris isn't quite right today :( U/D

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Can he have some vibes please? :(

Not even sure what could be wrong with him, he's eating and drinking fine and seems happy in himself, just a little more quiet than usual. I think his breathing looks a little worse than yesterday too (he has scarring in his lungs due to pasteurella) :( I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting but I just have a feeling something isn't quite right. Maybe he's just having an off day :( Bought his birthday pressies today from Hay Experts (he's turning 5 on Saturday), I really hope he isn't about to get poorly again :cry: I want him to have a good birthday after all he's been through!

Last edited:
awww bless him :( It's horrid when you just have a " feeling," but can't put your finger on what's wrong. I hope Boris will be OK X

Thanks, it really is horrible, I feel so helpless :( I'll make sure I give him lots of cuddles tonight, might make him feel better :) And obviously keep an eye on him in case he gets worse.

Loads of vibes for Boris.

Ginger has days like that, with her kidneys and pasteurella, she just needs a day or more to get over it, so perhaps Boris is going to be like that, as a lifetime situation, and its just something you'll need to be aware of.

If he is quiet, and appears not to want to move around much, provide him with everything you can close to him, Water, food, hay, something warm, something cold :wave:

Thanks for the vibes everyone. I appreciate it a lot :)

Loads of vibes for Boris.

Ginger has days like that, with her kidneys and pasteurella, she just needs a day or more to get over it, so perhaps Boris is going to be like that, as a lifetime situation, and its just something you'll need to be aware of.

If he is quiet, and appears not to want to move around much, provide him with everything you can close to him, Water, food, hay, something warm, something cold :wave:

Yeah, I've been thinking that too because he had a day like this recently when he was also coughing a little :( No sign of anything like that today, thank goodness, but I think these "off" days might become more common for him now as he's obviously affected by his condition. And he's not getting younger either..

He appears to be doing well though, he devoured his pellets within a few seconds (and almost bit my fingers off in the process! :roll:) this evening and seemed very alert and responsive overall. I just worry about him :( He's always seemed so fragile to me somehow. He's such a tiny little thing. But great things come in small packages sometimes, and he's already proved to me that he's a lot stronger than I thought :love: Maybe I'm worrying too much..

Millions of Vibes for Boris. I have said before, but I think he is one stunning bunster :)

Thanks for the vibes everyone. I appreciate it a lot :)

Yeah, I've been thinking that too because he had a day like this recently when he was also coughing a little :( No sign of anything like that today, thank goodness, but I think these "off" days might become more common for him now as he's obviously affected by his condition. And he's not getting younger either..

He appears to be doing well though, he devoured his pellets within a few seconds (and almost bit my fingers off in the process! :roll:) this evening and seemed very alert and responsive overall. I just worry about him :( He's always seemed so fragile to me somehow. He's such a tiny little thing. But great things come in small packages sometimes, and he's already proved to me that he's a lot stronger than I thought :love: Maybe I'm worrying too much..

Like me, i worried massively. When Ginger was quite seriously ill, i actually grieved for her. I believe i've now done that grieving, and every day is a bonus with her. A really good friend taught me that. Once i understood there was nothing we could do, and this was 'it' - it made life so much easier.

We treat every day like it could be our last as best we can, and by doing that, it reduces the stress on us all, and so, Ginger doesn't worry. She doesn't know she's poorly, she just gets on with it. Rabbits treat every day as 'today' they don't think about tomorrow.

We deal with things as they come. Ginger has a bad day once every 4-5 days, but thats not bad, thats still a good quality of life, which we will go on over quantity of life any day of the week. She's always bright now, and we know when the bad day arrives and we deal with it, we just provide her with everything she needs without her needing to exert much energy, so we keep her with everything i mentioned above, a cold source, a heat source, food, water and most importantly, we leave her with her bonded friend. He is the BEST thing for her when she's sick 99% of the time (that 1% is when he's being a ****** and wants to play) he'll snuggle her, love her, groom her and give her everything a bunny can.

I think perhaps you're in the same place i was ~9 months ago, it's difficult, but people are here for you.

I can definitely relate to that whole grieving part, when Boris was poorly I was basically expecting to find him dead every time I went downstairs, and even trying to prepare myself mentally for it :cry: It sounds so horrible but it was my way of coming to terms with it I guess, I'd literally sit with him and cry for hours each evening. This was when he was mouth breathing, and having heard how bad things are once they start doing that, I was convinced he wouldn't make it. I tried to be supportive and make him understand that if he wanted to, he could let go, because it hurt me so much to see him so ill. But being the fighter he is, Boris didn't let go. I think he could have, if he had wanted to, but he didn't. He wanted to stay :love:

He's still not quite right, breathing very quickly today as well but no coughing or signs of discomfort. He eats like a horse and has spent most of the day grooming Bella. She's definitely been a great comfort to him as well while he's been ill, like I've mentioned before I'm 100% convinced that she knows he's poorly, because she's so gentle around him now. Pre-pasteurella he was ALWAYS the one doing the grooming, but now she grooms him a lot too. And she never ever leaves his side, he gets followed everywhere he goes. Bella has an amazing ability to pick up on someone's emotions etc.

The thing that makes me worried now is the fact that my vet (who admittedly knows very little about rabbits) has said no to more antibiotics. If he has a relapse they'll want to do an x-ray. I don't find this necessary at all because 1) I already know he has pasteurella and that he has scarring in his lungs because of this. The x-ray is very unlikely to tell me anything I don't already know. 2) They have told me repeatedly that they haven't ever x-rayed a rabbit before. How would I know that it was done correctly? And 3) They charge over £100 for it (obviously that wouldn't matter to me if I knew it'd give me answers etc.) Initially they wouldn't even let me prolong the course to 1 month, but I talked them into it. I'm not sure I could convince them to let him have any more :?

Back