• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spurs U/D P6

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
The vet mentioned on Saturday that Emmy had a little sharp bit on her tooth but nothing to worry about straight away as it wasn't digging in anywhere. My question is how fast do these grow and can increasing hay eating solve the problem without a dental. The OH and I decided over to weekend to cut out treats for a while to encourage more hay eating but I wondered if this is enough. I really don't want to have to put Emmy through a GA and dental.

Last edited:
Ive been to the vets a few times with my lot...Ian has mentioned a spur.Said to keep an eye on it.
The hay feeding does affect the spur grinding.Its been 2 years since Roland had a dental.And the other bunnies havent had dentals at all.
Lily had her incisors burred every month...........but touch wood........

They grow differently for each bunny unfortunately, its impossible to comment. Almost every bunny has small spurs on their teeth as they are in a constant state of growth.

I'd leave them unless they cause any discomfort or issues personally, i wouldn't give the GA unless needed if she hasn't had them before.

Hay intake may help, but in some buns, the teeth just dont meet properly, or the spurs grow off into the cheek so no amount of hay eating will help.

They grow differently for each bunny unfortunately, its impossible to comment. Almost every bunny has small spurs on their teeth as they are in a constant state of growth.

I'd leave them unless they cause any discomfort or issues personally, i wouldn't give the GA unless needed if she hasn't had them before.

Hay intake may help, but in some buns, the teeth just dont meet properly, or the spurs grow off into the cheek so no amount of hay eating will help.

I agree with what Graham as already said.

Now you know there is possibly going to be a problem, keep a close eye out for any changes in their behaviour and physical appearance. Any dribbling, teeth grinding, (not the usual gentle happy gentle grinding), eyes watering and general reluctance to eat and drink could be indications that bunny is in some form of pain. Also they may become rather withdrawn and lethargic.

You'll find loads of help and support on here.

Sending loads of hay eating vibes....nom, nom, nom!!! That'll help.

Thank you everyone. They have their Myxi jabs on Wednesday so will get the vet the re-assess Emmy then and hopefully advice me on what to do. Will also be a chance for him to check everybuns teeth to see if there are any other problems.

Took the buns back to the vets today for their Myxi jabs. They got the usual MOT and the vet said that Emmy's teeth are fine :thumb: I can stop worrying so much now.

I shoudl also mention it was a different vet to the one she saw on Saturday. I think this one knows more about buns.

Back