• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting my boys neutured.

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
We are now going to get the boys done, now that we have had Pop done and she has recovered a little. But should we get them done at the same time or one after the other?? Money isn't a problem or anything, it's just purely cause this is my first set of bunnies and I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew.

The boys were together but due to the hormones kicking in, they needed separating. We are planning on bonding the boys with Pop if possible but we are ready for if that doesn't work and we will only be doing this when all three are healed and hormones have completely calmed down.

If money isn't an issue, then there's not really much of a question, and to be honest, it won't make much difference, except to time scales if you are planning on bonding a trio.

You'll have to wait 6-8 weeks post-neuter anyway for everything to die down, so if you have them done at the same time, then its 6-8 weeks from the day, or if seperate, 6-8 weeks from the time the last bun is done.

Hope that makes sense :)

I guess maybe I am being selfish worrying about how I will cope as I have never really had animals, where as my boyfriend has grown up around rabbits and that. So he copes better than I do.

But I get what you mean. It would be a lot easier getting them both done together. It's just my nerves which most people will think is silly and probably be like 'why do you have them then' but it's a learning experience. :/.

Does your vet keep them in overnight after neutering?

If like my vet, they don't have overnight staff and send the animals home that day, you might be better to get them done a week or so apart.

I guess maybe I am being selfish worrying about how I will cope as I have never really had animals, where as my boyfriend has grown up around rabbits and that. So he copes better than I do.

But I get what you mean. It would be a lot easier getting them both done together. It's just my nerves which most people will think is silly and probably be like 'why do you have them then' but it's a learning experience. :/.

There's nothing wrong with being nervous, it's totally natural and expected.

What's important, is doing whats right for them and knowing the aftercare, such as pain relief, keeping them in a smallish area when they get home, with a heat source if outside, as post-GA they are not able to regulate their own temperature as well, getting them eating again etc.

A neuter is a VERY simple operation in comparison to say a spay in a female, and bucks often recover within 24 hours. Just be aware :)

Thanks. I wanna do the very best for them and I know my vet gives a check up before doing any procedure so I can speak to him too.

Poppy was her normal self, apart from appetite, literally hours after her spay. But if male bunnies are anything like the guys I know then there is gonna be a bit of 'Woe is me'. :lol:.

Thanks. I wanna do the very best for them and I know my vet gives a check up before doing any procedure so I can speak to him too.

Poppy was her normal self, apart from appetite, literally hours after her spay. But if male bunnies are anything like the guys I know then there is gonna be a bit of 'Woe is me'. :lol:.

That was my Biscuit.

Looked so sorry for himself and refused to eat/drink for 2 days, i'm sure he was sulking that his furry teabags were gone!! :roll:

If you get them done together then you won't have to worry about them falling out really :) and it's all done and dusted :D I never worried with Donny and Leo, they both had a nap when they were home but within 3 hours they were eating, pooping, drinking and lying in the strangest positions :shock:

I have had 3 boys neutered in the past few months & you wouldn't klnow they had had anything done....they sailed through it & were bouncing & eating as soon as they came home!

Back