• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Bitten Ear :(

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Jessica has been bitten on her ear by Domino , we moved house last week so can only assume they had a scuffle because of this, it happened overnight. Anyway I found some fur pulled and Jessie's ear has one bite right in the middle. It looks fairly clean, I have bathed it with water its not huge or anything, there isnt a hole. Her ear does seem swollen and you can tell she flinches when I try to feel it. She is eating little bits but looks quite down and is not her usual self.

I dont really want to stress her out further by taking her to the vets, what would your advice be everyone? :( xxx

Straight to a vet.

The ears of a rabbit are the most sensitive place, on a rabbit by my understanding. She could be in discomfort and you'd never know it, because of how well a prey creature hides weakness/illness.

I'd want her to be on a few days of suitable metacam as a minimum, just in case.

You could always call your vet for advise but I think a vet trip is in order, take them both together and it may help to remind them to be friends!

ok she has had metacam injection, & antibiotic injection. Been given metacam, baytril and fibreplex to take home. Fibreplex to start today, the others tomorrow. It was very expensive - £79 - is that normal??? she is still looking very sorry for herself and staring at the wall. She has nibbled a little bit of hay and carrott, i dont want to bother her with the fibreplex yet but will do in a hour or so :( poor baby x

Perhaps a little expensive, but it depends on your surgeries consultancy fees. £80 is a small price to pay if it makes her better :)

Loads of vibes, the baytril will just help to stop any infection in theory and the metacam will keep pain at bay and act as an anti-inflammatory for any swelling in the damaged tissue.

How much and of what metacam was prescribed? :)

Perhaps a little expensive, but it depends on your surgeries consultancy fees. £80 is a small price to pay if it makes her better :)

Loads of vibes, the baytril will just help to stop any infection in theory and the metacam will keep pain at bay and act as an anti-inflammatory for any swelling in the damaged tissue.

How much and of what metacam was prescribed? :)

Hi Graham, thanks. She has Metacam for dogs, a dose for 15kgs once daily, (she weighs 2.5kg) does that sound about right? The vet said that although it sounds a lot you have to give a much higher dose for rabbits?

Oh and just gave her the fibreplex she didnt seem to mind it at all actually! x

Last edited:
Hi Graham, thanks. She has Metacam for dogs, a dose for 15kgs once daily, (she weighs 2.5kg) does that sound about right? The vet said that although it sounds a lot you have to give a much higher dose for rabbits? x

What dose? Eg, how many ml's? :)

And yes, rabbits can have MUCH stronger pain relief as they metabolise meds in a much quicker manner :)

What dose? Eg, how many ml's? :)

And yes, rabbits can have MUCH stronger pain relief as they metabolise meds in a much quicker manner :)

Hi, the syringe doesnt have ml's on it. just kg's... its a 10ml bottle ill type what it says on the label:

Metacam
1.5mg/ml
oral suspension for dogs
Meloxicam
10ml

... :)

aww my Grayson had some of his eat bitten off by his hormonal mummy! his was only a tiny sliver off the top/side, we took him along with another vet appotment for a poorly piggy, and the vet said it was already cleared and heeling nicely!

Jessie is much better, although on Tuesday I went to check on them and found blood all over the floor :shock::( turns out jessie had also caught her claw which had cracked and bled everywhere and therefore I took her down the vets again :( she had to have it removed but her toe is ok. As she was on all the meds anyway they said this would cover it but poor jessie. :(

Back