• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

V worried. Low energy bunny, now found mould in litter tray.

Vita

Mama Doe
I'd never seen this before. Wonder if it's because I'd been using a new litter. Will certainly be changing litter trays every couple of days from now on.

Ada has been low on energy and eating less (though still eating some), and mad for dried herbs, more than hay, for the past couple of days.

I am worried she might have the early stages of mycotoxicosis or some other weird illness from the mould. I've already been looking up trains to Harrogate for tomorrow as I am concerned this could be the early stages of something awful that requires help from someone who knows the most obscure stuff re. bunny illnesses.

Can anyone give me some advice?

If there are any forage leaves people think may help I would buy them.

ETA. The mould I saw was grey, but almost as soon I saw it I took the tray outside (so as not to release more spores into the house) and tipped it into the binbag, so I didn't get that good a look at it. because it's dark out

Last edited:
I'd still suggest teeth/stasis. Especially as she's gone off hay for herbs. Dried herbs are very easy for dental buns to eat. I hope it's something that can be cured easily.

I'd never seen this before. Wonder if it's because I'd been using a new litter. Will certainly be changing litter trays every couple of days from now on.

Ada has been low on energy and eating less (though still eating some), and mad for dried herbs, more than hay, for the past couple of days.

I am worried she might have the early stages of mycotoxicosis or some other weird illness from the mould. I've already been looking up trains to Harrogate for tomorrow as I am concerned this could be the early stages of something awful that requires help from someone who knows the most obscure stuff re. bunny illnesses.

Can anyone give me some advice?
If there are any forage leaves people think may help I would buy them.

ETA. The mould I saw was grey, but almost as soon I saw it I took the tray outside (so as not to release more spores into the house) and tipped it into the binbag, so I didn't get that good a look at it. because it's dark out

I have no advice on the technical stuff (way out of my knowledge) but on the practical side, FHB is away this week, assuming that's who you were planning to consult.

What type of litter is it? Is there a chance that she might have eaten some of it - that might make her very sluggish as obviously litter is designed to absorb liquid which is the last thing her guts need. Fingers crossed she's ok xxx

I have no advice on the technical stuff (way out of my knowledge) but on the practical side, FHB is away this week, assuming that's who you were planning to consult.
Ah, well, that's that then. Thanks for the info. It will save me time, if nothing else, tomorrow!

I think I will get her checked out tomorrow anyway but although they are known to be very good, I just don't have the confidence in my usual vets for something unusual after they didn't try various things on Beatrix before she died, and it's not a subject I'm aware they've published on.

I suppose if it does turn out to be teeth that will be something of a relief even if it will be an ongoing nuisance to pay for. But I would rather a dental than an awful mould related illness.

Are rabbits who need dentals usually a bit lethargic? She does still move around, just not as much as usual. She's had short phases like that before, which wouldn't necessarily worry me on their own. It's that plus the change in eating habits that concerns me.

Yeah, it was mould, there was furriness when I lifted some of it up.

The litter is Bunny Bed O Linum (plant fibre), but surely she'd have been more likely to eat it when it was new in the tray.

If she hasn't eaten it then she's unlikely to have had sufficient exposure to mycotoxins for it to cause a problem. You have to be exposed to continued high levels of mould spores by inhalation to get ill from it.

Hope she's ok

Yeah, it was mould, there was furriness when I lifted some of it up.

The litter is Bunny Bed O Linum (plant fibre), but surely she'd have been more likely to eat it when it was new in the tray.

Not necessarily

What are her poos like ?

Normal and round and with obvious fibres in them.

I just put the clean litter tray in with new hay* (which she jumped on and started eating :D ) so I will have a look in it over the course of the evening to see what the newest ones are like.

* just hay, not the litter

If she hasn't eaten it then she's unlikely to have had sufficient exposure to mycotoxins for it to cause a problem. You have to be exposed to continued high levels of mould spores by inhalation to get ill from it.

Hope she's ok
She may not have eaten it, or not much of it, anyway. I really hope so. Poor thing. I hate mould and couldn't abide living so near it, and I'm so sad to have unwittingly inflicted it on her. I haven't seen her sneezing (she had snuffles Oct-Dec).

Preliminary poo report (lol): They are smaller than usual but still round and hard and plentiful.

She seems to have perked up a bit since I put the clean tray in and she has also just started tucking into some Timothy Hay I put in a basket on the floor for her.

I am less worried than I was but still going to check her more frequently than usual.

Fingers crossed she was just ****** off with the mould and is happier it's gone. She had been kicking new hay I put in the litter tray on to the floor for a couple of days - presumably because she wanted to get it away from the mould

I do sometimes wonder if they act out of sorts to get attention when they know there's something wrong and keep it up until you sort what they aren't happy about. I've had rats do that

She is livelier now, but still eating less (though not no) hay and lots of herbs. Droppings still smaller than usual, and I'm not sure there are as many of them.
I will get her checked out in case she needs a dental. Do the droppings change when they need dentals?
I'm concerned in case it IS something weirder linked to the mould and it would be useful to know what to do / ask for in case it's that.

Back