• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!!! Rabbit has gas :(

Loppy2

Warren Scout
Hi
Today my rabbit has gas..he has gurgling in his stomach and is sitting quite hunched up. We have got infacol, what was recommened in another thread. We were goign to phone the vets, but all the vets around my area shut at 4.00:/ We don't no if we can phone the emergancy line, because we dont no how serious it could be. Im really scared, so PLEASE reply as soon as you can.

Loppy2

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm no expert but if your bunny is sat hunched up an not eating etc you need to get him to a vet ASAP 

How long has he been like that?

Is he behaving as if he is in pain?

Is he refusing all food?

If he's in pain and potentially has been for a while (one hour plus) then he needs to see a vet. All vet practices are obliged to have an out of hour service so if you ring them there will be an message telling you what to do, or someone to answer the phone to take your call.

A rabbit with abdominal pain and refusing food is classed as an emergency. If the first vet you speak to doesn't take it seriously then find another one!

Hi
We had the same problem during the week with our bunny.
He was still eating and drinking but holding his poop for a hours....he tends to only poop mainly in the evenings/nights.
We gave him 0.6ml infacol 4 times a day (he is 2.27kilos) as prescribed by our vet. We also did tummy massages as much a he tolerated....he is suffering with EC/ear infection with head tilt and dizziness at the moment so it was quite difficult to get him to sit to massage.
We also gave dark leafy greens to him. We are still giving infacol 2 times a day and we bought different types of hay to temp him to eat plenty of it!

I would call ur emergency vet and see what they say. Probably best to get him checked over and see the vet though. Can never hurt to see the vet...to put your mind at rest at least!

Good luck and hope ur wee bunny is ok.
Leesa.x

This happened to my bunny yesterday and I took him to the emergency vet. We seem to have caught it early as after meds, today he is fine and eating again and back to normal self. Please Please take your bunny to the vets.

Any news today? Hope your bunny did ok at the vets.

A rabbit with bloat is best taken immediately to the vets without delay or any home remedies. Bloating causes acute pain and the rabbit is at risk of going into shock in addition to all of the other problems.

http://www.hoppingmad.org/E3/GIstasis.htm
Bloat – a build up of gas that can occur very quickly, especially if left unnoticed. Bloat is an extreme form of GI Stasis and usually occurs after the rabbit has experienced slowed gut motility and anorexia for some time. It is very uncomfortable and ultimately very painful for the rabbit. An inexperienced owner may not recognise that their rabbit has bloat, and mistake the symptoms for GI stasis. When a rabbit has bloat the abdomen becomes hard. Eventually it will expand and become distended. The prognosis for bloat is not a good one, and it is notoriously difficult to treat. A rabbit with bloat needs to see a vet immediately. Some owners who recognise the onset of bloat will orally administer infant colic medicine that contains Simeticone – in the UK, many owners use ‘Infacol’, before taking their rabbit to the vet, however, these medicines are designed for frothy bloats that occur in babies (and cattle!). If they have any benefit to rabbits it is probably the fact that some fluid is entering the solid bits in the stomach. The vet is a must!
N.B. Experienced owners may know the difference between bloat and GI stasis, but it’s important to note that the home treatments that some owners administer for GI stasis can be fatal to a rabbit with bloat, or at best, worsen the condition.

:(

We took him to the vets...they tried there hardest :( But sadly Loppy pasted away, when we were on the way to a special rabbit vet :( :( :'( :'(

Oh Im so so sorry :cry: Bloat is a horrible thing and can strike so suddenly as you have found :cry:

Sweet dreams little bun xxxxxxxx

Back