• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Endangered Striped Bunny!

nessar

Warren Veteran
Stumbled accross this during a google image search!

striped-rabbit.jpg

Only discovered within the last decade, the striped rabbit is considered a bit of a scientific novelty owing to its unusual markings. It comes from a region of Burma that has revealed many unusual species previously unknown to scientists, including a miniature deer. Pictures are scarce.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/12/02/strange-and-bizarre-endangered-animal-species/

(If you go follow the link be aware it has some creepy-looking animals on it too, including spiders.)

Wow! What an incredible world we live in!

I have now become pretty hardened to pictures of scary spider, after doing a spiders topic with my class of 8 year olds! My teaching assistants and I all hate them, but twhen we started reading Charlotte's Web my kids loved all the spider bits, so I've themed a whole term's work around them! They are truly amazing creatures!

Wow! What an incredible world we live in!

I have now become pretty hardened to pictures of scary spider, after doing a spiders topic with my class of 8 year olds! My teaching assistants and I all hate them, but twhen we started reading Charlotte's Web my kids loved all the spider bits, so I've themed a whole term's work around them! They are truly amazing creatures!

Beautiful isnt it! Interesting how the ears are much shorter than the European wild rabbit.

Off-topic I know, but if you dont mind me asking, are you a teacher then? I'm thinking about training to do Primary teaching, but was a bit put off to hear that teachers dont have much flexability for lesson-plans anymore because of ofstead etc, but it sounds like you've managed to tailor them?

Yes I'm a primary school teacher. There are some constraints, but the way you get children to learn what they need to learn is entirely up to you (in most schools). I like to be creative and to sometimes be led by the children's interests (as in the case of the spiders topic - it's not soemthing we've done before in Year 4, but I'vce planned it so that I am still teaching the same Literacy units etc, but with spiders as the 'hook' - we've written explanations, looked at stories from other cultures (Anansi), stories with issues and dilemmas (Charlotte's Web/ vegetarianism), controlling floor robots/ estimating angles (using the robots as spiders catching flies), measures (held a 'Spider Olympics') and so on and so on.).

If it's something you're interested in, get yourself into a school and see what it's all about. My only warning is that it does involve very long hours. I work 60-70 hrs+ on a normal week.

Yes I'm a primary school teacher. There are some constraints, but the way you get children to learn what they need to learn is entirely up to you (in most schools). I like to be creative and to sometimes be led by the children's interests (as in the case of the spiders topic - it's not soemthing we've done before in Year 4, but I'vce planned it so that I am still teaching the same Literacy units etc, but with spiders as the 'hook' - we've written explanations, looked at stories from other cultures (Anansi), stories with issues and dilemmas (Charlotte's Web/ vegetarianism), controlling floor robots/ estimating angles (using the robots as spiders catching flies), measures (held a 'Spider Olympics') and so on and so on.).

If it's something you're interested in, get yourself into a school and see what it's all about. My only warning is that it does involve very long hours. I work 60-70 hrs+ on a normal week.

Thank you, that sounds a lot better than I thought it would be regards flexibility :) Yep, that is my plan, I'm in the third year of my English Literature Ungrad degree now, but I've heard so much bad (overworked, underappreciated and underpaid) and about NQTs leaving teaching, and that you shouldnt train unless you 100% know its for you that, as realistically its going to cost me about £18-20,000 what with £9000 tuition and then living costs, I figured it was best to be 100% sure I wanted to do it first. My plan is to spend a year as a teaching assistant, so I can see how it really is for teachers, and then go from there. I can't really see myself doing anything else, but at the same time I dont know how well I'd cope with the job in reality.

Robot spiders sound awesome, in Year 4 the most interesting things we did was grow sunflowers and see which conditions made bread mould faster!

Last edited:
Anyone else look at the pic and wonder if they just happened across it on a particularly bad moult day. Scamp has quite a few 'stripes' at the moment :lol:

In the next issue of Bunny Mad magazine this bunnis in the first of a 4 part series entiltled "bunnies of the world" exclusively written for me by author Lucile Moore... i found it fascianating!

Back