• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP Beau hasn't eaten since Friday

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
He went to the emergency vet yestreday, my partner took him so I don't know if she checked for a blockage, I know she didn't use a special thing to llok at his teeth though. He's had emeprid, metaclop, ranitidine, buprecare zantac and metaclop. We have ranitidine and emeprid to give him 3 times a day and metacam to give him later, the vet says not to give him it until the metaclop injection has worn off as that is a painkiller, but I thought it was something else. I don't know if she knows what she's doing, we've never had stasis since we moved here in September so this if the first time she's treated him.

Should I try another vet?

Please someone tell me what to do?

Have put this in general chat so more people will see.

My thoughts are youve got the right stuff, but if its not helping then he needs subcut fluids.
Is he doing anything?? wee?? Is he still hunched?? Is he moving at all??

My thoughts are youve got the right stuff, but if its not helping then he needs subcut fluids.
Is he doing anything?? wee?? Is he still hunched?? Is he moving at all??

He is mainly hunched but also keeps flopping as well. His tummy feels distended and doughy. The vet pinched his skin and said he wasn't dehydrated so didn't give sub-cut fluids. He hasn't done even a wee as far as we can tell. We've been chasing him up and down the stairs but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Has he passed any fecal pellets ?

Personally I would get him to another Vet. Fluids are *essential* even in the absence of signs of dehydration. This is because in Rabbits when the GI tract stops working water is rapidly absorbed from the gut contents. This leads to the contents becoming a dehydrated mass which wont move.

Metoclopromide is a gut motility med

Metacam is an non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic

Zantac and Ranitidine are the same thing. An anti GI ulcer med which has the useful side effect of increasing gut motility

Buprecare is an opiate analgesic, a good pain killer but it can cause drowsiness

ETA- In severe cases of gut stasis meds need to be administered by injection. They are unlikely to be absorbed into the bloodstream if given orally.

Has he passed any fecal pellets ?

Personally I would get him to another Vet. Fluids are *essential* even in the absence of signs of dehydration. This is because in Rabbits when the GI tract stops working water is rapidly absorbed from the gut contents. This leads to the contents becoming a dehydrated mass which wont move.

Metoclopromide is a gut motility med

Metacam is an non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic

Zantac and Ranitidine are the same thing. An anti GI ulcer med which has the useful side effect of increasing gut motility

Buprecare is an opiate analgesic, a good pain killer but it can cause drowsiness

ETA- In severe cases of gut stasis meds need to be administered by injection. They are unlikely to be absorbed into the bloodstream if given orally.

I was hoping you would reply Jane. We are in the process of sorting out going to another vet. The stuff he had at the vets was all injected, so thats metacam, buprecare, zantac and metaclop. And we were given metacam ranitidine and emeprid to give orally at home. The vet said he wouldn't need any oral metacam until this evening when the injection wears off.

Jane, I know you are not a vet, and I will not hold you responsible if it doesn't help, but what would you personally do if it was one of yours?

ETA no fecal output since litter tray changed at 2pm yesterday.

Id be worried. Sorry Ive not been on here a while but I have 2 with gut stasis this weekend one whos never had it before. Im used to it with my other bunny and he seems fine now but...

Hazel right as rain yesterday morning by 6pm last night she was huddled on her elecrtic heat pad with her eyes closed, flopping out every now and then like your bunny. I gave her some metacam (I know its only pain relief and anti-inflam but it works with my other bunny) and no change so by 9pm last night I took her to the vets - they have kept her in, she on a drip (as per Yvettes advice that your bunny may need sub-cut fluids) (Hazel was still fighting a teeth check etc when I took her in) but he checked everything and decided stasis - so shes having metaclop IV he said its more effective that way - her temp is lower than it should be, today they said shes still not had any poos over night and has barely touched her hay so have added in zantac, fibreplex more metaclop and metacam........Im just praying she'll be ok. If youre worried I would try a different vet..Mine wont let her come home until shes 100% they said...so its Monday morning earliest for me, its heartbreaking..... good luck to you I hope this helps xx

Sorry didnt see all the other posts in the meantime - just to add shes on baytril as he said stasis can really upset the gut wall and infection can develop..... hope you get him sorted xx

I was hoping you would reply Jane. We are in the process of sorting out going to another vet. The stuff he had at the vets was all injected, so thats metacam, buprecare, zantac and metaclop. And we were given metacam ranitidine and emeprid to give orally at home. The vet said he wouldn't need any oral metacam until this evening when the injection wears off.

Jane, I know you are not a vet, and I will not hold you responsible if it doesn't help, but what would you personally do if it was one of yours?

ETA no fecal output since litter tray changed at 2pm yesterday.

That alone would be enough to make me consult a different Vet within the next hour or so

He may need admission for intensive care

This practise was recommended on a previous thread:

http://www.foxhallvets.co.uk/about.html#staff

They advertise 24 hr emercency in-house rabbit cover on the website. It's about 15 miles south of Lincoln.

We used the veterinary hospital on Newport when we lived in Lincoln, we didn't have rabbits then but they're weren't much good with rats so I wouldn't recommend them for exotics. Most Lincoln vets use the same out of hours emergency service and I never liked them much either.

Have appointment at foxhall at 2pm. This vet laughed when I said which vet we'd been to :( he says he will look at teeth and give sibcut fluids, but there's no other medicine he would give that beau hasn't already had. Jane would you give him some metacam orally now? Or should the injection he had last night last him 24 hours?

Have appointment at foxhall at 2pm. This vet laughed when I said which vet we'd been to :( he says he will look at teeth and give sibcut fluids, but there's no other medicine he would give that beau hasn't already had. Jane would you give him some metacam orally now? Or should the injection he had last night last him 24 hours?

:thumb: Good luck

Shall we give him some metacam orally then? He had an injection of metacam at 8pm last night that the vet said should last 24 hours.

I'd wait and see what the vet at Foxhall says. With the oral you tend to split the dose and give it every 12 hours as that tends to work better but the shot should last 24 hours.

I wouldn't give him any more meds until you've seen the other vet, personally, Lib. Best of luck at the vet.

Shall we give him some metacam orally then? He had an injection of metacam at 8pm last night that the vet said should last 24 hours.

Good luck at the vets... hope all goes well
Not sure what others think but....As its less than an hour until you go... I would be tempted to wait until you get to the vets . Vet will give injectable pain relief, which hopefully will kick in quicker

Back