• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Took Mary n zoid to the vets yday...

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Just for their myxi jabs...

Anyway they weigh 2.7 and 2.4 respectively is that overweight?

And they run away from me know :( well Mary always used to but zoid has been too :cry: is it just cos of the vet trip?

They seem okay though which is a good thing I guess.

What breeds are they? Ted is usually 2kg (he's lost a bit - down to 1.88 after his stasis bout) and Rosie is around 1.7-1.8kg - I would call them both on the small side of medium bunnies. They are also warier of us when they've been to the vet (poor Ted's not keen on us at all at the moment :cry:) I'm sure they'll soon come round :D.

Just for their myxi jabs...

Anyway they weigh 2.7 and 2.4 respectively is that overweight?

And they run away from me know :( well Mary always used to but zoid has been too :cry: is it just cos of the vet trip?

They seem okay though which is a good thing I guess.

Did the vet seem to think they were overweight? If not I wouldn't be too concerned.

Buckley won't even be in the same room as me when I've taken him to the vets, he sort of growls at me whenever I try and go into his room post-vet trip. The only way he walks after a vet trip is with flicky feet, and he will try and snatch your fingers as well as whatever treat you offer him. And this is a bunny who is in love with his vet.

The vet wasn't concerned so I guess that's ok :thumb:

Just wish they wouldn't run away :lol: :(

I guess it's just stressful for them :(

They probably just think you're going to bundle them in a carrier and whisk them off to the big nasty vet again. ;):lol: My two usually avoid me like the plague for a while after a vet trip :roll: but some hand feeding soon persuades them they like me really. :thumb:

With respect to their weight, it's hard to tell by weight alone as all bunnies vary but the vet most likely would have said if they were drastically over/under weight. I posted a couple of links on a thread recently for checking weight, so I'll see if I can find them. :thumb: Once you're happy that they're an ideal weight, then you can monitor yourself at home to make sure they stay at around the same weight.

The vet wasn't concerned so I guess that's ok :thumb:

Just wish they wouldn't run away :lol: :(

I guess it's just stressful for them :(

My dwarf lop, Harvey, was 2.75 kg when he went to the vets, and she said he was really overweight because that weight was big for a dwarf and he had a bit of excess fat around his ribs, and she wanted me to get him down to 2.2 kg (that's a lot of weight to lose!!!). I got him down to about 2.5 and he was looking very slender and lethargic, so I then maintained him at about 2.6. I then spoke to another vet and she looked him over and felt him and said that excess body-fat wise he only had a tiny bit excess (they should have none she said, so a tiny bit isn't too bad, and I wasn't worried as this was just as winter was coming on and he's an outdoors bunny). She also said that his weight would be more than a normal dwarf as he's almost the size of a non-dwarf rabbit just in his build (although his ears are the proportion of a dwarf, so he is still a dwarf she said...), so I'm a bit annoyed the other vet was angry at me for his weight, he will not be going down to 2.2!

Basically if the vet doesn't think they're overweight they probably aren't as vets are likely to pick up on this issue as it can be a big problem with rabbits, and although weight does depend on the breed, like mine you might have an abnormally large (or small) rabbit for the breed, so just check they don't feel as if they have too much fat covering their ribs and spine, but the vet probably would have mentioned if they were overweight!

Ooops, I nearly forgot the links. :oops::lol: They're in this thread, to save me retyping. :wave:

My dwarf lop, Harvey, was 2.75 kg when he went to the vets, and she said he was really overweight because that weight was big for a dwarf and he had a bit of excess fat around his ribs, and she wanted me to get him down to 2.2 kg (that's a lot of weight to lose!!!). I got him down to about 2.5 and he was looking very slender and lethargic, so I then maintained him at about 2.6. I then spoke to another vet and she looked him over and felt him and said that excess body-fat wise he only had a tiny bit excess (they should have none she said, so a tiny bit isn't too bad, and I wasn't worried as this was just as winter was coming on and he's an outdoors bunny). She also said that his weight would be more than a normal dwarf as he's almost the size of a non-dwarf rabbit just in his build (although his ears are the proportion of a dwarf, so he is still a dwarf she said...), so I'm a bit annoyed the other vet was angry at me for his weight, he will not be going down to 2.2!

Basically if the vet doesn't think they're overweight they probably aren't as vets are likely to pick up on this issue as it can be a big problem with rabbits, and although weight does depend on the breed, like mine you might have an abnormally large (or small) rabbit for the breed, so just check they don't feel as if they have too much fat covering their ribs and spine, but the vet probably would have mentioned if they were overweight!

Thank you!

You can feel their ribs etc and she said they're ok just slightly overweight! Just like me I guess :lol: :p

They weigh less than Spenser, although he hasn't been weighed recently. He's going to the vet tonmorrow so I'll get him checked.

My vet ( who is totally rabbit savy and awesome!) actually prefers rabbits to carry 'a little extra' as it can drop off them in no time if they are ill :)

Back