• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

scared.. :(

MillyLop

Warren Scout
it's that time of year now where we would have usually let our buns have a run round the garden to enjoy the huge space and all the grass, but since our Lily passed and Miley has been indoors with us, i'm absolutely petrified to let Miles out into the garden :cry: and I admit, we haven't let her out at all since it happened last year :oops:

reason being, 2 hours before Lily suddenly passed away, we had let them both into the garden for a run around. as we didn't have an autopsy done or anything, we don't officially know what caused her death (the vet said as there was no diorreah or warning, and she had all the jabs it could have likely been a heart problem..) but what if Lily ate something bad and that caused her death.. how can I make sure the same doesn't happen to Miles apart from not letting her out? :oops:

I guess my question is.. if a bun eats something they're not supposed to, what are the symptoms? could it cause a sudden death with no warning? or do they always get diorreah first? is there a plant/insect out there that instantly kills buns if swallowed?

What should I do? even though she has full run of our house 24/7 I would love to let her out into the garden to get fresh air, and well.. be a bun! i'm just so scared of losing her :( please help!

Have you got anyone who is knowledgeable about plants you could ask to tell you what's in your garden? You could then check they were ok and remove any that aren't.

I don't know how a bun would react if they ate something poisonous. Mine do sometimes eat things in the garden that are on the no list for buns but don't seem to have a problem.

As your other bun was ok and if they are anything like mine where they go after the same thing to eat in the garden maybe it wasn't anything she ate.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

You could have a run in the garden then you'd know that area was safe.

they did appear to follow eachother around trying the same things :love: i've checked the lists that say what buns can/can't eat and the only one we had last year was a tomato plant but it was at a part of the bed where they never really ventured.. but i honestly couldn't say if she ate it or not :(

we have thought about getting a run, but since Miley has had the full run of our house she HATES being confined to a small space without the freedom to get out if she wishes (she's gotten rather spoilt :lol:) we shut her in her base hutch for an hour while we had someone round who was allergic :roll: and she wouldn't go back in the hutch for a nearly a week as she thought she'd get locked in, which wasn't ideal as her litter tray was in there :lol:

we might get a run anyway, would be good just for her to have a change of scenery. we were just dissappointed at the sizes available at p@h, shockingly small! :evil: if anyone has any suggestions for big runs (which preferably fold down really small :thumb:)

thanks for the help :)

If you are going to be supervising (which you would have to if she is free-ranging the garden anyway) you could get a big dog pen or two and use them, but they usually dont have a roof so you'd have to supervise in case of predators. That would fold up.

If you want her to free-range, I would go through every single plant (including small ones and weeds) and make sure they are bunny safe.

Back