• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Info on Xeno 450 spot-on treatment.

Sue&Smokes

Young Bun
Hi,

One of my bunnies, Chinny was examined at the vets yesterday and it was discovered she had eggs show up on her fur when examined under the microscope. The vet we saw was a new one and seemed very good with his advice, but just wanted to check on some information regarding the Spot-on treatment as I have never used one before.

He gave me 2 tubes of the Xeno 450 spot-on treatment (on back of tube says ivermectin 450 mcg) and advised me to give both tubes of this to my netherland dwarf bunny Chinny. He said this is safe, even if ingested, she weights 1.88 kgs. Just wanted to ask if this sounds about right as I didn't receive the information leaflet that is usually enclosed with the treatment. Also, just to be on the safe side, wanted to ask if others have used this treatment safely and if there's any known side effects/reactions? I have only ever used Ivermectin once before for a different case, but this was given by injection.

Thanks for any help and informaton,

Sue

Eggs??? Flea eggs?????

Xeno450 isnt for teatment of fleas....as far as I know.:? Its for mites.

If its fleas then you want ADVANTAGE.:wave:

Eggs??? Flea eggs?????

Xeno450 isnt for teatment of fleas....as far as I know.:? Its for mites.

If its fleas then you want ADVANTAGE.:wave:

Hi Yvette,

Yes, he thought it was associated with mites, not fleas, although he didn't see any actual mites under the microscope, he just said he saw eggs.

Chinny has had this condition on and off for a few months and was initially taken in to see the vet last September because a big chunk of her fur went missing under her chin and she was down to quite a big patch of bare skin there which looked irritated. She was taken to the vet back then and the vet we saw was mystified and when examining her, she said it was not typical of mites, nor skin infection and wasn't moist dermatitis either. She tested for Ringworm too back then and this was negative also.

Since September, every few weeks, a patch of fur goes missing from under her chin (to varying degrees of size) and she fusses this area quite a lot. I've left taking her back until now as she was acting normal otherwise and is fine with her eating, drinking and pooping. This last time though she was also sneezing quite a lot too, so this was also addressed also at her vet visit yesterday. She is currently on Baytril & Metacam for a few days to see if this helps the sneezing.

I should add that I have seen her pluck some of the fur that goes missing from under her chin but have never found any anywhere.

It sounds right. My rabbits have three and four tubes each. Try and get it behind the neck, there's a lot of it. If she's with other rabbits can you keep her separate for about half an hour after putting it on? That way it should be mostly absorbed and the other's shouldn't be able to clean it off her. This is what my vet advised me. :wave:

Thanks Jenova, yes, she does have a bun friend so will make sure I keep her separate for a while. That's reassured me the dosage sounds okay then, which is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the tip to put it behind the neck, will give that a go.

I did ask the vet to check her teeth yesterday but it wasn't a complete check, he said incisors were fine and he had a feel around which I know wasn't a complete check, but we're not suspecting teeth problems as she seems to be eating fine. I am still a bit mystified why the fur loss just occurs underneath her chin and that's where I see her fussing with the most, but guess will see if the xeno 450 treatment will help clear it up or not.

I would be at least considering dental issues, especially if she is also starting to show potential respiratory issues.

It's not uncommon for a bunny in pain in their mouth to pluck the furr on their dewlap because they can't do anything else with their pain. Mites also often occur if the immune system is run down.

It might be worth looking into, at least. A full dental check with otoscope would be something I would ask my vet to do if one of mine was exhibiting these symptoms.

Okay, thanks Sky-O, will definitely bear that in mind too and suggest a better teeth check-up for her soon. Aside from the fur loss and the bit of sneezing, she seems absolutely happy otherwise though and eats really well with plenty of hay, she hasn't changed her eating pattern in any way, but will get her checked out just incase.
I have heard of bunnies who sometimes barber themselves when they have pain somewhere, but then again I would have thought she would be showing signs of not wanting to eat or behavoural problems if in any significant pain like that. Hopefully, the xeno treatment will work and will watch her to see if sneezing subsides over the next few days, thanks again for your help.

Back