• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
At the moment my litter trays consist of a newspaper or woodshavings then a thick layer of straw on top, is straw okay for them to sit on?

Spenser has hay (supermarket bedding hay) in his basin. I don't use wood shavings, but do use several layers of newspaper. I think the hay is softer, plus it is more nutritious as many rabbits like to have a nibble while they are 'at their business.' :lol:

Straw is fine but doesnt have much nutritional value so hay is better, in case they start to eat the straw. I wouldnt use shavings because of the phenols though.

Hello- slighty hijacking the thread apologies :) What is wrong with woodshavings ? I use at the moment but will stop if they are not suitable.

Mine have carefresh litter and masses of hay. Mine are indoors so carefresh is great as the wee seems to be drawn down to the bottom.

Hello- slighty hijacking the thread apologies :) What is wrong with woodshavings ? I use at the moment but will stop if they are not suitable.

They give off phenols which over time can cause damage to small animals respiritory system and also other organs like the liver. If they arent properly dust extracted the dust also causes problems with the respiritory system.

Cedar shavings are the lowest in phenols and so considered safer, (although personally I wouldnt want to risk it anyway) but they are near impossible to get in the UK.

It's fine, but personally, I find that hay is more absorbant :wave: I use several layers of newspaper and hay on top.

Back