• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what have your little furries done for you?

bubbles1068

Warren Scout
Over the last 10 years or so my life has gotten harder. depression, breakdowns and domestic violence to name but a few. then 18 months ago my mum was diagnosed with cancer and lupus within a month of each other. the cancer was advanced and she was only offered palliative care she put up a brave l fight with me by her side then last march, a week before mothers day, she had a massive stroke and we lost her. that was almost a year ago and i am still struggling to come to terms with it. anyway last July we got Hutch a cute lionhaired then a month later rose a beautiful French lop. what have they done for me? they make me feel needed and loved, they take my mind off some of the rubbish that life can throw at me but most of all they make me smile . i love them so much and am determined to me a good bunny mummy to them, with lots of help from the forum.

I'm sorry you have had such a torrid time, but I'm glad you have rabbits in your life that are giving you so much.

Mine have saved my life repeatedly, over and over and over and continue to do so. Especially both Flash and Sky.

That's a lovely story. What have mine done for me?? Well I've battled anxiety, depression, panic attacks, self harming as a teenager, domestic violence, had a still born baby boy almost 9 years ago, been a single parent of 2 girls almost all my life plus worse (if there could be). I have battled on through life and over the past 5 years or so felt there was something missing..... Three years ago I took on 2 unwanted sister buns then a year later joined RU and now have 13 rescue buns rescued from various places/situations/people. They are now my life, my loves, my future and I have become very involved in rabbit welfare. I am a very successful, strong, confident and determined woman and will help anyone in need if I can. I have survived and come through the other side albeit with a mild worry of panic attacks returning but hopefully not! My babies are now my world and a bunny cuddle and kiss has to be the BEST! :love::love::love:

Last edited:
I have no real family, live alone and sometimes get lonely. I suffer from depression, work long hours, and am often exhausted. I find that my animals help me to switch off and relax. They give me such unconditional love they help me when my self esteem is particularly bad (usually after some guy has messed me about).

I've also met some wonderful people from this site through my small furries. These have enriched my life and made me feel less alone - particularly Sam (Bluesmum) and Debbie (Purplebumble). I've had some supportive PM's too from Yvette and Di.

I love this forum:love: and wouldn't have found it if it wasn't for my bunsters.

I'm sure they know! I'll swear that animals come into your life to teach you something. I suppose it's a similar way of looking at things that the American Indians have. I was not looking for any more pets. Ozzie is such a funny character, he has brought a lot of joy into my life- it had got a bit dour! :-S

I like the fact that there is no cunning with rabbits, he is a very trusting soul to say that he's a prey animal & I respect that a lot. :)

bubbles1086 i'm so sorry for your loss :cry: i lost my mum to lung/bone cancer last September, my world fell apart. i'm incredibly lucky to have an amazing support system in my husband/family, and our Miley definately got me through by making me smile/cry with laughter every single day! she makes my heart melt, everything she does is just cuteness, i love her so so much!

it makes me sad to hear what a hard time you've had to go through, but it sounds like hutch and rose are doing a great job at keeping your spirits up. i'm sure they appreciate everything their bunny mummy does for them! :love: i've never realised how hard mothers day is to someone who doesn't have their mum with them.. feel free to pm me if you ever just want a chat xx

She makes me feel like I'm never quite on my own, which I didn't really expect from such a small, non-vocal creature.
Someone is happy to see me each morning. I don't think you can put a price on that.

Bunnies have brought an element of randomness of meeting people back into my life which I'd missed terribly for a couple of years. (If you don't like people talking to you in vets waiting rooms, don't sit near me!) Unfortunately some of this has been because they weren't well and I had to take them to the vets a lot but it has opened up the world again which has been very good as I'd been feeling terribly deprived since my health problems started getting worse a couple of yers ago.

Whilst I had long been keen to avoid animal suffering, particularly since I started doing meditation a few years ago, I had always been one of those ones that considered people were always much more important than animal charities and causes, which got too much money and attention. Now I feel understanding and compassion for both. Someone's signature on here puts it beautifully: "You can't change the world by rescuing an animal, but you can change the world for that animal."

I understand animal-y people better and feel better connected to them, including friends I'd known for years. And it is amazing how much conversation with strangers you can get simply from asking about pets and having your own stories about yours.

Watching her is very meditative. She is just being, and doing what comes naturally to her, with simple concerns, and it's beautiful. I find I do less structured meditation since I got the bunnies, but I often get a similar sense of calm from watching them / her. But she's not only a simple creature; she has such character; I feel like there's a person inside there

It was a hasty decision to get the bunnies and if there had been the possibility of reserving them and coming back, I doubt I would have brought them home. It's a much criticised policy, but whilst its results have been expensive sometimes for me, having the bunnies is a very valuable and enriching experience.

bubbles1086 i'm so sorry for your loss :cry: i lost my mum to lung/bone cancer last September, my world fell apart. i'm incredibly lucky to have an amazing support system in my husband/family, and our Miley definately got me through by making me smile/cry with laughter every single day! she makes my heart melt, everything she does is just cuteness, i love her so so much!

it makes me sad to hear what a hard time you've had to go through, but it sounds like hutch and rose are doing a great job at keeping your spirits up. i'm sure they appreciate everything their bunny mummy does for them! :love: i've never realised how hard mothers day is to someone who doesn't have their mum with them.. feel free to pm me if you ever just want a chat xx

thank you x

the rabbits (matthew, tabitha, charles, cecile) and the rabbit board are a great source of comfort and contact with the world.
hugs for you all. it's so easy to become 'alone' when you never expected it... or even when you knew it was inevitable. i think r u means a lot to many of the people here who are having quite challenging lives, including me. not saying anyone's life is easy. but i know when things are hard it helps to post and get support here.

bella has given me so much more than i could ever give her. she calms me in a way no other animal has. jasper just makes me smile like no other. he is such a dufus and thats why i love him.

all my animals give me a sense of 'being' and they keep me grounded.

i have suffered deppression for years and its only when i am with my animals that i feel 'switched' off from the pain xxx

Back