• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cooling house rabbits in summer

Dave81

Mama Doe
As summer is approaching albeit slowly what do you do to ensure your indoor bunnies remain cool throughout the day?

I will keep the blinds shut to keep out the heat and put down plenty of water, is there anything else I can do?

I fill empty pop bottles with water and freeze them then wrap a tea towel round them an place em in their runs or huts an they usually lay beside them 

Fill plastic bottles with water and freeze them, leave them around the house for the buns to flop next to. Even if they don't flop next to them they help to cool the air on the ground.

I tend too use icepods and fans. Also frozen bricks and, as mentioned, water frozen in bottles can work well too.

I find the heat in the summer as stressful as the cold in the winter.

I like the look of the ice pods as they don't seem too bulky for storage in the freezer, don't have much room for bottles really. I have a fan in the room it's walled off from the rabbits so they can't get near it

As you can see from my signature, I have an exceptionally furry bun, and she really suffers when temperatures go above 25 centigrade, and once they start hitting the 30s, the poor thing is pretty much unable to do anything.

At first I tried closing the blinds but she likes the sunshine, so that went out the window, and she absolutely hates fans, so that was a no-go, and she was scared of the frozen bottles :roll: For this particular bun, the solution was a larg ceramic slab which stays cool pretty much constantly, but which could also be put in the fridge (not freezer) to cool down further, and during the really hot days she spends practically all her time lying on this - at dusk she will start to move a bit again :)

Heat is definitely a much bigger problemr for this bun, as she is quite happy with temperatures below 20 centigrade in the winter...

Back