• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Building up Little Ted

martlou

Warren Veteran
Little Ted has lost a bit of weight over the last month from his two bouts of stasis, he's gone from 2.02kg to 1.88kg. When he's completely well he's a really good hay eater, will this be enough to build him back up a bit or should we be looking to try anything else to help? We haven't got his blood tests back yet so we don't know if there's an underlying problem.

Thanks.

I would not alter his diet at the moment. If you introduce new foods or foods high in carbohydrates it is likely to upset his guts again.

I would weigh him every couple of days to make sure he is not still losing. Also monitor his water consumption and let your Vet know if he seems to be drinking a lot more than usual.

Also, monitor poo output very closely.

Hope the Tedster stays well now xx

I would not alter his diet at the moment. If you introduce new foods or foods high in carbohydrates it is likely to upset his guts again.

I would weigh him every couple of days to make sure he is not still losing. Also monitor his water consumption and let your Vet know if he seems to be drinking a lot more than usual.

Also, monitor poo output very closely.

Hope the Tedster stays well now xx

Thanks Jane, I'm always on poo patrol everyday anyway :lol: He's done 5 poos since he came home, which is not many but they are large and well formed. He's been eating quite a bit less than usual but the same as he did when he came home last time, and fairly enthusiastically.

We won't give him anything different then, but will continue with what we've got, they both really like the baled hay anyway. We've kept him and Rosie in separate rooms tonight as we need to ensure she can't try and nip him before we let them back in the same room. That's meant that I am in the dining room with her (we were feeling very guilty that she was on her own) and Martyn is in with Ted. We are communicating through the closed sliding doors :lol:

We are intending on sleeping downstairs with him tonight, he'll be in the pen, we'll be on the floor. Martyn likes to check every couple of hours in the night if he's been ill and so we'll be on hand to do so.

I like that you called him the Tedster. It's one of our names for him too :love:. Thanks for your advice x

You've had the best of advice from Jane. :thumb:

Maybe you could consider pro-fibre pellets at a later stage, but I would consult more expert advice than mine before doing this. I think both Sky-O and GrahamL use them to help keep bunnies with ongoing health problems and weight issues in good condition.

Thanks Jane, I'm always on poo patrol everyday anyway :lol: He's done 5 poos since he came home, which is not many but they are large and well formed. He's been eating quite a bit less than usual but the same as he did when he came home last time, and fairly enthusiastically.

We won't give him anything different then, but will continue with what we've got, they both really like the baled hay anyway. We've kept him and Rosie in separate rooms tonight as we need to ensure she can't try and nip him before we let them back in the same room. That's meant that I am in the dining room with her (we were feeling very guilty that she was on her own) and Martyn is in with Ted. We are communicating through the closed sliding doors :lol:

We are intending on sleeping downstairs with him tonight, he'll be in the pen, we'll be on the floor. Martyn likes to check every couple of hours in the night if he's been ill and so we'll be on hand to do so.

I like that you called him the Tedster. It's one of our names for him too :love:. Thanks for your advice x

It sounds like a family sleep-over event !!

No midnight feasts for you and Martyn :lol:

It sounds like a family sleep-over event !!

No midnight feasts for you and Martyn :lol:

We've got liquorice allsorts and wine pastilles :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Susie bun - thanks I will enquire about the pellets when he's back on form and we want to keep him that way!

Just done the first lot of medications - he's on 0.5ml zantac twice daily, 1ml emeprid 3 times daily, 2kg dose of metacam once daily and fibreplex 3 times daily :shock:. He's really good at holding them in his mouth (apart from the fibreplex which he makes a big show of chewing then just lets it fall out of his mouth). Any tips for getting him to swallow? He quite liked the zantac last time but took a while to get that down this time and I think most of the emeprid went down martyn's top (vet advised mixing it with same amount of very dilute ribena but he didn't seem to fall for that one). Who knows what will happen with the metacam as that's gone on a bit of brocolli and dried dandelion leaves (which he loves normall).

Back