• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vet visit

Fofinha

New Kit
Hi All,

Finally after a month waiting, we're allowed to take Dr Watson home tomorrow. We've been prepared everything for his arrival.

He's a Lionhead bunny and should we around 8 months now.
According to the rescue, he's been neutered already. My question is how can you tell whether he's neutered? Is it possible for us to check it?

Also my 2nd question is, should I bring him to vet for health check up since he never have any yet.

Sorry for the long post. He will our first ever bunny, want the best for him.

Thank you

If he is a boy you will be able to check because he will have little shrivelled 'sacks' either side of his genitals. An unneutered boy would geerally have big, clear testicles. You will have to search for the neutered remains of his testicles. You will need to look right in the crease, where the genitals sort of join the rest of the body. Er, does that make any sort of sense at all?

A health check would be a good idea too :)

Good luck and congratulations! I think we need to see some photos when he arrives :)

Sky-O's advice is spot on. Here is an article about how to sex boys. You see the large pink testicles on each side? If your boy has been neutered, those will be gone, there will be a slight hollow and perhaps some loose skin. Getting a general health check is a great idea.

I hope you and Dr Watson have many happy years together! (Fantastic name btw!)

Doctor Watson at home now

Hi, he's arrived at home now. It said that let him alone for a day. Can't we stroke while he's adjusting new place? He's been munching the hay (that's good right?)

Want to post photos but internet connection not on until monday, using my phone only for now.

Btw how do we know if he's adjusting well?

Thanks.

Back