• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you put bunny waste in the green bin?

I think it depends on your council and your bin men. I put mine in and sometimes they take it and sometimes they dont. I tend to cover it with leaves just in case now :oops:

We put all of our bunny waste, hay, straw and megazorb into the green bin. They always take it, as long as its not too heavy. I think it varies from council to council but we never asked, we just did it and they have always taken it. We do put plant waste in it as well, but even when there is not much plant waste they still take it.

We have now got some new compost bins though so we will start composting as much of it as we can (but that's not helpful if you can't compost at home/at an allotment).

It depends on what happens to the waste once they take it away I think - we aren't allowed to put in any pet waste because it doesn't get heat treated.

Our council wont let us put rabbit waste in the green (recycling) or brown (garden waste) bin, I usually just put it in and cover it up anyway though

Just as the title says really as our black bin gets filled after a few days!

You could go on to your Council's website where it will tell you what you can put in - a lot of places it is just for cardboard, newspaper, plastic bottles, for re-cycling.

We can't get rid of ours in green bins or at the tip, it is a complete nightmare :(

What do you do with it all Liz? :shock::shock: Do you mean you can't put it in any of the bins? :(

My 'ordinary' wheelie bin is full to the brim every week and that's mainly bunny rubbish & I only have two bunnies!!

We are allowed to put pet bedding/straw/hay in the brown (garden waste/food waste)bin. Luckily they even take it when it's heavy! I use wood based cat litter and get away with putting that in there too.

What do you do with it all Liz? :shock::shock: Do you mean you can't put it in any of the bins? :(

My 'ordinary' wheelie bin is full to the brim every week and that's mainly bunny rubbish & I only have two bunnies!!

I can put it in the black bin but can only fit 3 small black bin bags in every 2 weeks :roll: We have 15 every week!

At the moment we separate newspaper and hay waste. The really dirty newspaper goes in mine and my neighbours black bins once a fortnight. The not too wet papers go in the orange recycling bin and all the hay goes to an elderly man down the road who has huge allotments. It is a major worry because he is 78 years old now and if anything happens to him we will have to close :( It also takes ages to clean out as we have to separate everything as we clear out

We can put bunny waste in the green garden bins here, and I put a load in the garden waste skip at the tip last week and didn't get shouted at, so I guess that's OK too! :D

I can put it in the black bin but can only fit 3 small black bin bags in every 2 weeks :roll: We have 15 every week!

At the moment we separate newspaper and hay waste. The really dirty newspaper goes in mine and my neighbours black bins once a fortnight. The not too wet papers go in the orange recycling bin and all the hay goes to an elderly man down the road who has huge allotments. It is a major worry because he is 78 years old now and if anything happens to him we will have to close :( It also takes ages to clean out as we have to separate everything as we clear out

:shock: What a nightmare Liz! I sometimes sneak a black bag into my next door neighbour's bin :oops: but I don't know what I'd do with 15 bags of the stuff :shock::lol:

I haven't asked but the website states 'Please place only compostable garden waste loose into the bin.' bunny waste is compostable so hopefully there wont be a problem.

:shock: What a nightmare Liz! I sometimes sneak a black bag into my next door neighbour's bin :oops: but I don't know what I'd do with 15 bags of the stuff :shock::lol:

I get 3 in both mine and the neighbours and then if we have extra pop across to the flats when it is dark to see if their is space there :oops: We do it late on a sunday and they are emptied around 7.30 am on the monday morning so hopefully it doesn't take space anyone else needs

I get 3 in both mine and the neighbours and then if we have extra pop across to the flats when it is dark to see if their is space there :oops:

I have a vision of you sneaking over to the flats, dressed all in black and wearing a balaclava. :lol::lol::lol: Just thought I'd better add that I only 'borrow space' in the neighbour's bin on the morning of our bin collection. ;)

With only one rabbit, and just three adults in the house it's not really a problem for me. When Spenser does any whiffy poos I tend to take his basin out to the garden and tip them out. I'm not putting quite as much hay in his basin now that he is indoors as he doesn't need it for warmth.

Back