• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They sent the wrong hay - an honesty question!

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I ordered 6 bags of Welsh Meadow hay from Burns came to £16. It came, and they have sent 6 bags of Green Oat, which is about £26. I can't wait any longer though, I need to use this hay as I really don't have any else, and can't wait another week for new hay to arrive!

Should I keep it? :p

I would suggest letting them know and explaining that you do need to keep it. See what they say. They might say because it was their error to keep it with no additional charge.

I personally wouldn't just keep it because I would view it as stealing. Even though it was their error- you have noticed it.

I would suggest letting them know and explaining that you do need to keep it. See what they say. They might say because it was their error to keep it with no additional charge.

I personally wouldn't just keep it because I would view it as stealing. Even though it was their error- you have noticed it.

this ^...
i run an ebay site at work and once sent the wrong light out in error. when i was told i didn't just tell them to keep the wrong light foc i sent the correct one as well.
customer delighted, i get good feedback and hopefully another order in the future. good customer service and honesty is often rewarded. :)

if it was me! I would use it! there mess up, you ordered it for a specific day because you needed it!

chances are they havn't noticed, and if they have, say you didnt' notice the mistake, and thought it was the hay you ordered :)

there has to be some perks of internet shopping :)

if it was me! I would use it! there mess up, you ordered it for a specific day because you needed it!

chances are they havn't noticed, and if they have, say you didnt' notice the mistake, and thought it was the hay you ordered :)

there has to be some perks of internet shopping :)

Keeping something that isn't yours and you know isn't yours and you didn't pay for... AKA stealing... is a perk? You can steal anywhere. :?

I agree with Sky-O about being honest and letting them know. They may well appreciate your honesty and let you keep it as it was their error.
Especially if you need it for your buns right now.

I would let them know because like elis said, they are likely to send you the correct order and tell you to keep what they sent you by mistake.

I'd call them and let them know. To be honest, for £10 they will probably just let it fly as a customer services issue :wave:

These things happen occasionally, but as others have said, if you keep it and dont inform them, that is basically theft.

I would let them know because like elis said, they are likely to send you the correct order and tell you to keep what they sent you by mistake.

This is what happened to me when I ordered a grassy carrot and they sent a willow carrot by mistake - not quite in the same league of value though!

I think my main worry might be that the buns wouldn't like the green oat hay, as it is very different in texture to Welsh Meadow.

Honesty!

There's probably some poor person somewhere down the line who's made a mistake. At least if you tell them they'll be able to adjust stocks etc etc.

:wave:

Use one bag and offer to pay the difference for that one bag. Realistically though they will tell you to keep the lot if you want to because the cost of sending it back for replacement would be too high.

This is what happened to me when I ordered a grassy carrot and they sent a willow carrot by mistake - not quite in the same league of value though!

I think my main worry might be that the buns wouldn't like the green oat hay, as it is very different in texture to Welsh Meadow.

Mine absolutely love green oat, I just don't buy it as its an extra £2 :oops:

I contacted them and they phoned me but I missed the call :roll: I have opened a bag, I said I would be happy to send the other 5 bags back if needed though, but if they wanted it back, I wanted my original order sent out right away.

Mine absolutely love green oat, I just don't buy it as its an extra £2 :oops:

I contacted them and they phoned me but I missed the call :roll: I have opened a bag, I said I would be happy to send the other 5 bags back if needed though, but if they wanted it back, I wanted my original order sent out right away.

If you do that make sure they collect it else you'll have to pay for postage ...

Personally I'd have kept it. It's not theft as you've paid for it. It's their error that they sent out the wrong one which is not your fault.

However, you've told them now so your conscience is clear, which is fine. Just make sure they don't ask you to foot the bill for post, even if they say they'll reimburse you - get the money off them first if they say that else you could be waiting for an awful long time for it.

If you do that make sure they collect it else you'll have to pay for postage ...

Personally I'd have kept it. It's not theft as you've paid for it. It's their error that they sent out the wrong one which is not your fault.

However, you've told them now so your conscience is clear, which is fine. Just make sure they don't ask you to foot the bill for post, even if they say they'll reimburse you - get the money off them first if they say that else you could be waiting for an awful long time for it.

If they tell you that you have to pay postage they are wrong and you are well within your right to tell them to take a long walk off a short pier :)

They will probably tell you to keep it as it will be cheaper then losing out on the hay money rather than pay for more to be sent out and you to send that stuff back :)

Too right, no way will I pay postage when it is their fault. I put a lot of business their way with all the hay I buy for 6 animals, and 3 large dogs and 2 cats that all eat Burns food. So they would be mad to treat me bad :lol:

Back