• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think it might be time to let Bonnie go :(

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
She is getting weaker and showing less vigour than usual and her spurs have returned yet again. I'm of the mind that I can't put her through another dental as she recovered poorly from the last one. Perhaps its time? I haver the flu right now to the point where I cannot be away from the bathroom :oops: so I'll have to give her metacam until I'm well enough to take her which I'm hoping will be next week.

I phoned the vet for advice about it and while he does not want to influence my decision he thinks it might be best. The only downside is that I will not be allowed to hold her as its done :( They have to anaesthetize her before injecting to make it less stressful.

It might be that she improves and we opt to go for another dental perhaps. I'm not entirely sure yet. I'm waiting for a call back from the vet and I need to consult my family to whom Bonnie is very dear and see what they think too.

Its a tough one :? :(

Oh no bless her :cry: Im so sorry youre beingfaced with making the decision, I know you will make the right one xxx

I'm so sorry. Certainly not an easy decision, especially as you are poorly yourself. Thinking of you all at this difficult time. xxx

Thanks everyone.

After some long chats with vet and family and lots of research as well as going over Bonnie's situation and quality of life we have decided to give her one more chance to determine whether she she has a wee bit longer. I don't want to deny her a last bit of happiness or time. So probably we shall be saying goodbye sometime in March if the spurs return within two weeks or less. She is booked in for an op next week so we'll take it from and see how she goes.

It feels good in a way to have a plan. I've felt for a long time we would lose her prematurely to this but at least she will go painlessly and peacefully. She has had a good life, nearly 8 years which is something of a comfort. I'll be so heartbroken for her and her husbun too. Poor Nori will be widowed a second time :( After Bonnie has gone he will be our priority.

Its strange I feel quite calm about it atm but I know when the time comes I'll be a wreck, I love her so much but I don't want to prolong her suffering.

You've all been so kind putting up with my posts and woes about poor Bonnie, she'd be so chuffed if she knew about all the vibes and concern.

Just had my heart broken a little. I went to give Bonnie metacam (felt so exhausted walking to the run but I'll do anything for the buns) and when I picked her up she nuzzled into my neck and stayed cuddled for ages :love::love:

Now I feel so guilty yet touched, I love her so much I'm not sure I can face losing her after all but I know this is not about me, I am putting Bonnie first no matter what but its so hard. She has great timing doesn't she :roll::lol:

It's the most painful decision to make. Little Bonnie hasn't got the burden of knowing what is going on, all she knows is that she is the most loved bun and she is cared for . Xx

It's the most painful decision to make. Little Bonnie hasn't got the burden of knowing what is going on, all she knows is that she is the most loved bun and she is cared for . Xx

That is such a sweet thing to say and very very true. Her daddy and Grandaddy are pretty macho but even they had tears in their eyes when discussing pts.

I'm so sorry you're having to face this decision :cry: I hope she can remain happy and comfortable for as long as possible. Sending hugs xx

That is such a sweet thing to say and very very true. Her daddy and Grandaddy are pretty macho but even they had tears in their eyes when discussing pts.

I had to make the same decision over my two year old border collie in October...it was the most difficult thing I ever had to do, and to hold him whilst the vet did it, it was terrible. But I do know that he had no knowledge of what was happening and I was there for him til the end, that's the best you can do for your beloved pet.

Whenever you make the decision it will be as an act of love for Bonnie, although upsetting for you and the family. Your expert care has given her more time, and quality time at that, than many rabbits with her problems could have had. :thumb:

Back