• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Eye Advice Please

basirascal

Mama Doe
:wave: Twinkle has developed one runny eye overnight. The eye looks clean, no sign of inflamation, just wet tears marking fur. Otherwise he seems absolutely fine, no sneezing, no runny nose, other eye normal, eating as normal, using litter tray as normal. He seems his usual bouncy self. Obviously, it will mean a trip to the vets if no improvement tomorrow, but he had a health check there three weeks ago when he had his Myxxi Vac. Teeth checked then and all ok.

I have been bathing the eye with some cooled boiled water with the tiniest amount of salt added and I keep drying the fur. Just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions re: bathing or experience/cause of this. He is beginning to moult a little and last night he was enjoying quite a long cuddle on my lap, I thought it might just be a hair in his eye, but there is nothing obvious:?

I would be greatful of any suggestions

My mini lop friend has this as a recurrent symptom. He was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and treated with drops. It keeps coming back so I think he may have tooth root issues. These can block the tear duct, causing the eye to weep.

Does Twinkle eat his hay well?

Hi susie bun:wave: Yes Twinkle can't get enough Hay:) Although yesterday some of it seemed rather short and had lots of seeds in. I was thinking he may have got something in his eye because it has happened so quickly. His teeth were checked 3 weeks ago and were absolutely fine, so I'm a bit puzzled. Obviously I will have to take him back to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't clear up, as I might be missing something.

Thanks for your advice -I was wondering if it might be a blocked tear duct. In which case further investigation will be needed. I will bathe it again later and keep drying his fur for now.

If he eats his hay so well (clever boy!) his teeth should be OK, although this isn't always true as some good hay-eaters still end up with dental trouble.

I've remember that Spenser also had a runny eye, over a year ago. The vet put some dye in it, and it came out at his nose and made his fur yellow for a few days - this was good news though as it meant (apparently) his tear duct wasn't blocked.

The seedy hay sounds a quite likely explanation. Spenser had a rather dusty batch of aot hay at the time of his runny eye, if I remember rightly.

Back