• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think there is a mouse living in the shed with my bunnies

mattyp

Warren Veteran
My girlfriend found what she thinks is mouse droppings in the rabbit food box we have in the shed with the rabbits. I am not really sure how to get rid of it/search for it.

I'm tempted to get a cat just to deal with the problem :?

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a little panicked that the rabbits might be in danger/risk of disease.

My girlfriend found what she thinks is mouse droppings in the rabbit food box we have in the shed with the rabbits. I am not really sure how to get rid of it/search for it.

I'm tempted to get a cat just to deal with the problem :?

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a little panicked that the rabbits might be in danger/risk of disease.

photo-22.jpg

I'll send him down tonight via Parcelforce.

can you see any gas in shed where a mouse could be getting in, dad found hole in our shed which was used by rats and mice and filled it in

can you see any gas in shed where a mouse could be getting in, dad found hole in our shed which was used by rats and mice and filled it in

The shed isn't even a year old so it has very little ware and tear. I've never noticed anyone before. But the rabbits do have a cat flap to get into their run so a mouse could easily have came through that during the day I guess. Am going to have a look around. Really don't want to kill a mouse but I don't want it coming back.

Thanks for the cat JT ;)

Leave a couple of humane traps.Bit of chocolate (mice LOVE it) and see what happens.
Have you a plastic box with a lid for the bunny food??? To keep it free from nibbles??

The shed isn't even a year old so it has very little ware and tear. I've never noticed anyone before. But the rabbits do have a cat flap to get into their run so a mouse could easily have came through that during the day I guess. Am going to have a look around. Really don't want to kill a mouse but I don't want it coming back.

Thanks for the cat JT ;)

No worries, he will be useless though! :lol:

Perhaps if you bring in the food box into the house for a week and that might stop them from returning?

When the buns were in the hutch, we had a little mouse visitor. He stayed for the winter and vanished during the summer. We just made sure no food was lying around the hutch and they were cleaned out daily.

Mice are never single - they live in packs, so you are likely to have either a nest in there, or they are coming in there from a nest nearby in order to get at the food. It's very difficult to remove their food sources with all that hay about. Even putting it up high wouldn't help, as mice are incredible acrobats (especially wildies). You only need a tiny hole in order for it to be accessible to a mouse, so I'd start by having a really good look around. Mice aren't very strong, so the cat flap is unlikely to have been opened by them, but it might not be shutting securely.

The cat flap is pinned open during the day because the rabbits are retarded.

The food is in a plastic container with a lid so I have no idea how they got into it but I imagine it's because my dosey other half left the lid off last night! Will look into getting some humane traps as well. Am really worried that there could be a nest in the shed now though, there's so many places they could hide in there :?

The cat flap is pinned open during the day because the rabbits are retarded.

The food is in a plastic container with a lid so I have no idea how they got into it but I imagine it's because my dosey other half left the lid off last night! Will look into getting some humane traps as well. Am really worried that there could be a nest in the shed now though, there's so many places they could hide in there :?

Take the bunny food indoors for a while.There wont be anything for mouseykin to eat then.No immediate diet.
Keep the shed swept and clean.Inspect for more mouseykin poops.
Humane traps.Box up the meeces and travel 20 miles.Release said meeces.

I had this problem too a few months back. I took all bunny food indoors and put down humane traps with chocolate spread in. I had a family of 5 mice which I relocated one by one to the next village and luckily (fingers crossed) there doesn't seem to be anymore!

I had a mouse living outside for ages - Timothy. I used to feed him:oops:

Then he moved inside with all his family:shock::oops: I bought a couple of humane traps online, & he moved to my parents garden. Don't tell them:D

ETA: I believe mice carry EC

I've had mice living under my shed for donkey's years. There's never any food lying around as the bunsters eat their pellets and veg within 5 minutes of it going down so I don't worry about it. Their water is always spotlessly clean and the mice don't seem to bother the rabbits. In fact, in really cold weather, I've been know to chuck a little bird seed to the mice (oops!)Live and let live I say!

Back