• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet said bunny did not have EC but I am still a bit worried.

bunkin

Warren Veteran
You were all helpful on my posts about my bunny who lost use of backlegs and subsequently had to be pts.
The vet was adamant that she did not have EC because of her blood test results that showed whatever was wrong with her and he suspected it was serious spinal problem her blood results confirmed severe muscle damage and other things and EC alone would not have given these results.

AS i had due to ignorance never wormed my bunnies he said to start doing it with the one left behind twice a year with panacur for 9 days.
Remaining bunny is fine and hopefully stays that way!

Obvioulsy until 2 days before bunny was pts they had been together and I am in a quandary as to whether to just do the 9 day course as directed by vet ( I asked him about doing 28 day and he said no need and not good to do if not absolutely necessary) or whether to ignore his advice and give him the 28 day course. I can bleach the new cage remaining bunny is in but the large paved area they had access to with lots of things like garden sheds in etc I could not possibly bleach everywhere they had access to.

What are your opinions???

I gave all mine a 28 day course as they had all been definitely exposed to it, however I should imagine that you will be watching over your bunny like a hawk now for any symptoms of anything! I know I am. In which case if there is a problem developing you will catch it early. :)

Thanks for that. I think I will leave him be. I have tried two days to give him panacur in food and first time he let it all drop out of his mouth , today I spread it thinly inside a grape but he still let most of it out of his mouth, I assume it tastes horrible. He has not been on grass since we got him and has no contact with any other animal and has no symptoms of worms in his droppings so given the stress he is under anyway having just lost his partner I think trying to give him the panacur on top is a bit much. Also he is a very small rabbit and guess weighs as he hates hates to be picked up and needs an armlock to keep him still so this is really stressful for him , he does not weigh 2.5kg and this is minimum dose of panacur. I asked the vet how much to give him as I was sure he was less than this and he laughed and said I don't know if its effective if you give less than one measured dose.

I gave my rabbit a 28 day course on vets advice. My first bun had EC and we lost him with Stasis, so I'm rather cautious now. I must admit I cannot syringe directly into his mouth, because he gets frantic and I hate stressing him, but he will take the dose on his food, so that's where it goes.

Maybe try lapizole, it's a bigger dose per kg, so on a one mil syringe you would give him 0.25 ml (quarter of a syringe) and all of my buns love it! It's no problem to get them to take it, and they all have to have 4 mls plus!

Do what your instinct says is best for your bunny. You will never get a definitive yes or no so all we all can do is read up and make the decision out gut instinct says is best for our buns. There's a lot on this forum about worming, panacur, fenbendazole, lapizole and other stuff do it might be worth having a search as well as reading stuff off the site.

WE managed to weigh him today and he is only 3lbs little thing so the minimum dose of panacur is too much as he needs to be 5.5lbs for one graduated dose. I will look into getting the other liquid one instead as sounds like that is done per kg.

He is eating his head off being a perfectly normal bunny at moment so I have decided to let him be he has had enough stress this last week but I will in a few weeks treat him for worms only. I also will not put him through the stress of going to the vets for a blood test as even if he is positive for EC he may never develop the complications and he is now six and half years old so.

Now that I can think without all the horrible emotions when mrs bunny was ill - my feeling and this is of course just my personal feelings is that if and my vet is totally sure she did not have Ec but if she had had it then the terrible state she was in and the fact she stopped eating and was clearly in a bad way then I would not have wanted to keep her alive for the 28 day treatment with panacur I would have felt I was being cruel but please this is not in any way a criticism of anyone else, while she was eating and bright I was willing to try anything for her but that last 24hrs she was clearly suffering a great deal. Hope I have not spoken out of turn here but I was feeling guilty about having her pts but now realise I shouldn't.

Back