• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

For future reference - emergency vets

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello all!

For future reference in case of a horrible what-if scenario... are there any recommendations for an emergency vet in Manchester that would be contactable 24/7 in case of emergency?

I realised after reading a few posts on here that if anything were to happen to our bunnies requiring urgent, non-9 to 5 working hours, I'd be stumped about where to take them.

Thank you
Stuart

The main one is Petmedics which is on an industrial estate near Worsley. (Bloody miles away from anywhere people actually live, it feels like) I think a lot of the city practices use it for out of hours cover. http://www.cvsukltd.co.uk/petmedics.htm
Their rabbit knowledge doesn't seem to be brilliant, and they don't have a great reputation among other posters on here.
But they did once make one of my bunnies better with just an injection of Baytril, so they are ok sometimes :)
I would always prefer to go there with some reading up / suggestions if poss.
They charge a lot more after midnight, so if it's getting to late evening and I'm wondering whether to go in, I've always left to get there before that. They are expensive enough anyway, especially considering the standards of service

From a cab driver I also heard about one in Cheadle Hulme. http://www.woodcroftvets.com/about-us/facilitiesservices/emergency-facilities.shtml
But it looks like they will only see you if you are with one of those practices

Hi, I went to Pet Medics in Worsley last night, 0161 794 4999 they were great. Very friendly and helpful, got my bunny on the way to recovery

Our vets have an emergency number you can contact if you call at night time, the details are left on an answering machine. The only ones we have been to are the emergency vets in Swinton and then another time, more recently, we went to one just off the East Lancs.

Might sound silly but try ringing your vet now and there should be an emergency number given on an answering machine, I think they all have to do it like the doctors do for out of hours emergencies.

Might be worth checking if your normal practice does it. I've never been to mine (thank god, touch wood), but whilst ringing the normal vet number out of hours I get through to what seems to be a minature call-centre all the vets use after hours, and when I had a question they told me to wait for a call back and my normal vet called back and spoke to me, so I assume the normal vets of my practice do emergency vet service.

Back