• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning after EC?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I need to clean the shed - I have Trigene and can use that, but I don't know how 'extreme' I need to go. The vetnurse seemed to think I could just change the bedding and that'd be ok :s - the vet seemed to think a bit of flash or similar would be fine.

I don't want to risk anything for other rabbits in future though. And how long should I leave the shed empty for? (animal wise).

The carrier needs cleaning as well - the vets used the top half as a hidey hole for Harvey whilst he is in the vets.

But how much of the shed do I clean? All the walls? Just the floor? The ceiling?

What about the hutch (left open in the shed) Do I just 'rinse over' the mesh, or should I be using a toothbrush (extreme example but sure you know what I mean!)

If I were you I'd swab everything with bleach from ceiling to floor, for the sake of 45mins cleaning and 50p bottle of bleach, the peace of mind knowing I'd done as much as I could to get rid of it is worth it. Then again I bleach down all our pet stuff once a month anyway and disinfect weekly.

I wouldn't start using toothbrushes and things on the mesh, too much hard work! but a good slosh of bleach water on a mop should be enough, the water will run all over it any way and use the mop or sponge to agitate it a bit to get it in the cracks.

I can be a bit OTT about cleaning after illness but I always figure that something that takes so little time is worth doing so I can be sure I've done as much as possible.

Back