• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dave and his new lady friend :-)

Sarahlou527

Young Bun
Hello...

On Saturday we are bringing our 11 month old neutered French lop rabbit Dave to an RSPCA Centre to introduce him to some lady bunnies to see if one takes his eye. Dave lives in a large hutch run combo which is currently in his own shed for winter. He is a real pampered rabbit and a very spirited boy he is not at all vicious but doesnt really like cuddles he likes to be free to do his own thing. The lady from the RSPCA said If we like a bun to bring her home put her straight in with dave and just keep an eye on them. But
I am worried as all info I have have read says they must live separately for a while and introduce them slowly? Without literally standing in daves shed it would be hard to watch them at all times and I would hate for them to fight ? ... Any advice or past experiences would be great fully received. Thank you :)

Ideally to give the bond the best chance of success you're going to have to do things differently.

You can ove them straight in together, that's ok, but it would be advisable to have them somewhere you a supervise them solidly (incluidng overnight) for at least 48 (but preferably 72 hours). The place needs to be neutral, and his accommodation needs to be neutralised before going back.

The dating method is a different kind of method, and that can work for some bunnies, but equally, for other bunnies it is best to just go for it.

My advice is to watch your bunnies and see what they need- be it dating or just going for it.

Back