• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Abscess - Help? Update 23/3

DeezieHelena

Young Bun
Today we took Nutmeg to the vet who confirmed Nutmeg has an abscess in her ear. It's at the base of her ear where it connects to her head, I first noticed it in September but was told it was nothing by another vet.

The vet said there is a hole in her ear allowing the pus in from the abscess, thus all the pus in her ears which we thought was an ear infection.

She is booked to go in for removal on Wednesday morning. She has been put on Baytril until then.

Any advice? I don't really know what to expect, I'm quite upset to be honest with you. I wish I had insisted back in September that it was not nothing :(

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this yesterday.

Exactly what type of surgery your Vet will do will depend on the precise position of the abscess and how widespread the infected tissue is. One thing I would advise that you absolutely insist on is ongoing good analgesic cover for several days after surgery. As antibiotics are already in use taking a swab from the abscess wall may not provide reliable information re the specific bacteria involved. In my experience Baytril alone is seldom helpful in the treatment of ear abscesses. Perhaps you could suggest some alternatives with your Vet. I would suggest asking about using a combination of Depocillin *by injection only* and Metronidazole. Other people have had success using Zithromax (Azithromycin). Antibiotic treatment needs to be continued for some time in most cases. Sometimes weeks or even months.

Again, depending on the type of surgery it may be necessary to treat the site of the infection topically. Your Vet will no doubt discuss this with you should the type of surgery performed require this.

The post operative period may mean your Bun needs a lot of nursing care including supportive feeding. The procedure is painful, so it is best not to expect to see a bouncing hungry Bunny in the first few days at the very least.

I could post some links detailing the various operative procedures, but I think all that will do is add to your anxiety as until the op takes place you are not in possession of the full facts. I am always guilty of thinking 'worse case scenario' if I start to research any problems a Rabbit of mine may have :oops:
This is where having a Vet we trust really is worth their weight in gold. My Vet reigns in my panic before it runs away with me :oops:

Sending good luck vibes for Nutmeg, please do keep us updated.

Thanks very much, Jack's-Jane.

I have to admit, I suffer from worst case scenario thinking, too! I have worried myself already by looking up things online.

My vet said that it would be a case of taking her in first thing on Wednesday and then picking her up in the afternoon - that suggested to me that they didn't think it was serious, but that's probably just me.

Like I mentioned before, I first noticed it in September but was told there was nothing there and the vet couldn't feel anything. It's smaller since then, I presume because she has scratched at it inside her ear and the pus is leaking out of the abscess into her ear.

I am very anxious now, and quite honestly very worried about her. I have prepared myself for the worst but still hoping there's a chance it will be straight forward.

Thanks again for your help, and for the vibes!

Update - Nutmeg is back from the Vet after her op

Nutmeg is my little hero.

She is so happy and active and munching away on hay and watercress. I can't believe how well she is acting. I only hope she stays that way.

So I only saw a vet nurse today when we picked her up, she said the abscess was lanced and she has to come back on Saturday for a post-op check. Baytril for 7 days and Canaural ear drops.

There is barely a scar but it is a bit red. I'm not certain of what was done, and was not told anything other than we would see the vet on Saturday, so I'll just ask then what happens from here.

I know I probably should have asked the nurse, but she said she was just there for the post-op recovery so I'm not sure she knew. The vet was pretty busy, too and to be honest I just wanted to get her home for cuddles and nose rubs because I was so worried!

Thanks for all your help here on the forum, guys. It mean the world to me.

New lumps?

Nutmeg's scar has healed, and apparently there was some confusion, and the abscess was just lanced and not removed as was suggested.
I did wonder why she was so cheerful after what I thought to be such a big op.

Anyway, the latest thing is I have found another lump, or lumps, on her other ear. These are new.
I don't really know how to describe it but I shall do my best.

The V-shaped cartilage on the underside of her ear is where the first one is. It's very hard, I'm wondering if its just because she has been scratching too hard?
The second I am uncertain if it even is a lump, but it feels unusually 'bony' on her head area where her ear joins - very different from her abscess.

Could anyone advise what this might be?
I am going to book an appointment with the vet tomorrow.
Other than these, she has been fine. I hope these aren't more abscesses.

Thanks for all your help :)

They may well be more abscesses unfortunately. But it is impossible to say for certain one way or the other without examining her.

Good luck at the Vets xx

Thanks, Jacks-Jane, you have been such a great help through all this!

I am rather too familiar with problems in the ear department :cry:

Here's hoping that the new lumps are not abscesses, but if they are I would strongly advise that they are fully removed, not just lanced, as this is more likely to result in a better outcome in the longterm.

Back