• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to get panacur into rabbit

bunkin

Warren Veteran
He has worked out how to spit it out even if I put the past into his mouth - he just sits there and lets it drop out!
Tried hiding it in food like inside a grape ( his favourite treat) and he managed to eat the grape and I thought great and then the next minute he dropped the paste onto the ground.
Is it availabe in liquid form as this would be easier?? Or any other suggestions?

He has worked out how to spit it out even if I put the past into his mouth - he just sits there and lets it drop out!
Tried hiding it in food like inside a grape ( his favourite treat) and he managed to eat the grape and I thought great and then the next minute he dropped the paste onto the ground.
Is it availabe in liquid form as this would be easier?? Or any other suggestions?

They are little monsters aren't they? My last bun had a heart condition and was on a lot of meds, and getting them into her was a complete nightmare!

How are you putting the syringe into his mouth? I put the point into the side of bun's mouth, at an angle so it points towards the back of the mouth. This sets off a reflex which makes them chew on the syringe, whilst they are chewing you can push the plunger and get the panacur into him and he will swallow. Take care and do it slowly or you risk him inhaling the panacur, but I've never had a problem as long as you take your time. You will get more confident the more you do it too. Are you holding bun whilst you're giving him the panacur and if yes, how? I've found that a firmer grip encourages *most* buns to take it nicely, if they know you're not going to take any nonsense!

You can also mix it up with something more palatable and feed it to him in a standard syringe, I have used ribena before (on vet advice). Or as Jane said above you can get it in liquid form, but it would be a shame to waste the stuff you've already bought.

You can use the Panacur 10% liquid if you want but you'll have to calculate the dosage yourself since the instructions don't give you rabbit doses. Lapizole is also a liquid and contains exactly the same ingredient. I would still do the 9 day dose for prevention, I'm not sure why they say 5 days.

Thanks everyone. Great ideas. I was thinking of making a cabbage sandwich of it or parsley as he loves these.
I would much prefer him to eat it with food as he has not been handled by previous owners and is impossible if you pick him up you need 10 hands 3 people and a strait jacket! He is also small and its really hard to hold onto a small rabbit anyway!

Back