• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's my rabbit trying to tell me?

egg

Warren Scout
Hi,

Does anyone know what it means when a rabbit turns its head towards your hand while petting it?

When I stroke my rabbit's head and ears she often turns her head sideways into my hand. I always thought this was a warning that she's going to bite, but could it mean she's enjoying it? I know it should be obvious whether or not she's enjoying being stroked but I honestly can't tell, so I don't know whether to continue stroking or stop.

She generally doesn't like to be fussed or stroked, she seems to like human company only when we sit and talk to her or play games where she chases us but isn't keen on being touched so it's hard to tell.

Sounds like she's enjoying it or trying to 'steer' your hand to where she wants fuss the most. :D

Does she grind her teeth when you do it? That's a good indicator that she'd enjoying what your doing :thumb:

It sounds as Elena said and she's showing you what she likes :) Just make sure not to touch her under the chin as this is a sign that YOU want to be groomed and some bunnies will take a huge offence to it! :lol:

Thanks for the advice & really good tips :)

Actually I think it was a warning of an imminent bite as the same thing happened tonight and I carried on stroking her. After a few minutes (she turned her head sideways about 4 or 5 times during this time) I got quite a hard nip lol. So I guess she was telling me she'd had enough and wondered why I wasn't taking any notice!

I've never had any happy tooth grinding :( * She would never sit still long enough to enjoy a good head massage! She just doesn't seem to want any affection or touching at all, but she's such a sweety in her own little way, I suppose that's just her personality. Oddly enough she allows us to pick her up no problem at all, just no touching lol. I did get a lovely bunny kiss earlier though :love::p

Thanks for all your help xx

Last edited:
Back