• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspect mammary(?) cancer in 9yr old unspayed doe? Long post but desperate for advice

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hello,
I haven't posted here since last year when I thought my rabbit had uterine cancer due to blood in her urine (turned out to be an infection).
But I'm afraid that I again desperately need some advice.

I have an 8yr old (9 around september this year) unspayed, unbred doe (I know, I know. But I didn't know they were supposed to be spayed when she was young, and I wasn't going to risk it at her age).
Last night I found a small lump near one of her nipples. My Dad felt it today and discovered a second one. Now I know that lumps can be many things, but to have two of them in very close proximity... Isn't that likely to be cancer? :(
I will describe them a little more...
Last night it seemed soft to me, but tonight I'm not sure - they might be a little firm. One is smaller and feels quite round, whereas the other is a bit bigger (maybe 2-3mm? Not really sure) and, at least to me, feels more of an irregular shape. They both move around easily under the skin.

Before you read below and judge me, please understand this; my girl means everything to me. There's not a thing that I wouldn't sacrifice for her.
We are really struggling with money at the moment. She is not insured as it's just something we can't afford. So I need to know a few things;
1 (most importantly): What is her outlook likely to be? How would they test her to find out what the lumps are? Would they take a biopsy? Would she need to go under for tests?
2 (the bit I hate to mention..): How much will it cost for the tests? I have £100 put away, but that is literally all I have at the moment. I will sell everything I own if I need to, but I have to know what I'm dealing with so that I can find a way to earn the money. Will £100 cover the tests? And if it cancer or an abscess or something, what treatment will she need, and how much will treatment cost?
3: If it is cancer, is it worth the risk of treatment (or even worth the risk of tests if they are dangerous or require her to go under)? She's an otherwise healthy rabbit, and she is so happy. She plays with me and races me around the house each night like a young kit, and just seems to love life. But at nearly nine years old, would she survive an operation? I want to do whatever will give us the most time together, because she means everything to me, and I can't believe that she would want to give up. She's so happy.

I am so sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to cover everything. I really need some advice. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is it likely to be cancer, and abscess, lipoma or something else entirely?
I am going to phone a vet tomorrow. Two members on here have recommended Gill Tose of Windlesham vets, so I will most likely go to her, unless anyone can recommend another good rabbit vet closer to Farnborough, Hampshire?

Thank you all so much for any answers you may give, for taking the time to read this and for being understanding.

Last edited:
Without examination it is totally impossible to say what the lumps may be. But even if they were to be cancerous then personally I would not opt for surgery. At 9 years of age I would prefer my Rabbit to enjoy any remaining time (assuming the lumps dont bother her at all) rather than having alot of invasive treatment which, realistically, may not actually buy her much more time than she would 'naturally' have. I think quality of life is MUCH more important than quantity (both for animals and for humans IMO). I would prefer my 9 year old Rabbit to have 6 months of pain free, stress free life, than 12 months of invasive treatment involving surgery, Vet visits etc....etc.

Gill Tosse is a good Rabbit Vet. I have consulted her myself. I would go along and see her with your Doe

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Jane. Sometimes the kindest thing to do is to do nothing. You have done well finding the lumps and you know your bunny ready well which means you can be alert for changes in her behaviour that mean she is uncomfortable or in pain. It sounds as though you have been recommended a good vet who will be able to help you find out more.

Thank you both for you answers. I have to admit I was thinking that way myself. I don't think she's suffering in any way. I don't think she even knows they're there. She's absolutely normal in every other way. I'm kind of caught between the two things. On the one hand if I lose her in a few months, I'll always beat myself up for not at least trying surgery. On the other hand if I lose her under the anesthesia... It's so difficult. She's my whole world :(
I will get my parents to call Gill later. Not sure they'll be happy travelling nearly 20 mins, but I'll have to find a way to convince them as I want her to have a vet who knows what she's talking about.
May I just ask you all a few things?
What sort of things is she likely to do? Is there much that she can do without surgery?
Also, how long do you think my Willow has? :cry:
I know they're questions that the vet can answer, but... I guess I'm just impatient. I love my girl so much.
Thank you again much. I'll let you know how things go when I can.

I have a 9 year old SPAYED doe who has developed mamary tumours. My extremely bunny-savvy vet has recommended doing nothing as to remove the mamaries is an enormous operation and one which he thinks she wouldn't survive. The tumours are not growing and do not seem to bother her so we're just leaving well alone. Sending best wishes for your girlie.

While cancer is of course a possibility, as bunnies get older they can also develop harmless lumps and bumps so try not to worry before you have to. They may turn out to be cysts or something else similar. It sounds like you have a good vet lined up so good luck and I hope it turns out OK for you both x

Thank you both for you answers. I have to admit I was thinking that way myself. I don't think she's suffering in any way. I don't think she even knows they're there. She's absolutely normal in every other way. I'm kind of caught between the two things. On the one hand if I lose her in a few months, I'll always beat myself up for not at least trying surgery. On the other hand if I lose her under the anesthesia... It's so difficult. She's my whole world :(
I will get my parents to call Gill later. Not sure they'll be happy travelling nearly 20 mins, but I'll have to find a way to convince them as I want her to have a vet who knows what she's talking about.
May I just ask you all a few things?
What sort of things is she likely to do? Is there much that she can do without surgery?
Also, how long do you think my Willow has? :cry:
I know they're questions that the vet can answer, but... I guess I'm just impatient. I love my girl so much.
Thank you again much. I'll let you know how things go when I can.

Even *If* the tumours are cancerous then the diseased cells could remain insitu or any metastatic disease could take a very long time to occur. It may be that her natural life would come to a close before any problems from mammary cancer occurs.

If I, as a human, developed Breast Cancer at the age of 80+ I would opt for the least invasive management available, even if that were doing nothing. I cannot emphasise enough my heartfelt belief that it is quality of life above quantity every single time. I feel this to be especially true for Rabbits who, as prey animals, do not cope with stress well, either psychologically or physically.

A mantra I always keep in mind is just because invasive treatment is technically possible it does not mean that it is always right to do it.

Thank you all so much for your answers, they have been a great help to me.
We gave the vet a call earlier, and they said that the would give a consult for £26, a biopsy for £50 and the operation for £70 (excluding after care). Now while money is something I don't have, I couldn't care less from that point of view. I would find a way to get it. Willow is my only concern.

What I am trying to decide is this. Even if I got the biopsy done, where would it leave me? I am 90% certain I don't want her to have the op either way because the risk of her being put under is so high, and she could have (at least I hope) another few months -possibly even a few years, depending on what the lumps actually are- of a happy and otherwise healthy life.
So my problem is not knowing whether I should even take her to the vet or not right now. If anything changes (lumps get bigger or she seems to be suffering), then I will absolutely take her. But would it help her right now? She's never been to a vet before as she's always been healthy, so I wonder if it's worth stressing her out?

So right now I am inclined to just let her be and monitor her closely for any change. Would you all agree with that, or do you feel I should take her for the biopsy and risk the op?
I need help, because I honestly don't know what's best for her. I know that she is one of the happiest rabbits I've ever seen. She must binky a hundred times a day! I love her so much and want to do what's right for her.

I can't thank you all enough for the help you've given me, especially as I have been writting so much :oops:

It sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders, but in this situation, i'd have to say the following;

What does your gut tell you to do?

From reading your posts, its obvious you care for Willow greatly, and that you will do the best for her.

In your situation, i'd certainly 100% go for quality over quantity, as its something many of us live for, especially for rabbits as Jane so eloquently put it.

At this point, until she begins suffering, i'd leave her to be happy and bunnyfied :)

We gave the vet a call earlier, and they said that the would give a consult for £26, a biopsy for £50 and the operation for £70 (excluding after care). Now while money is something I don't have, I couldn't care less from that point of view. I would find a way to get it. Willow is my only concern.

What I am trying to decide is this. Even if I got the biopsy done, where would it leave me? I am 90% certain I don't want her to have the op either way because the risk of her being put under is so high, and she could have (at least I hope) another few months -possibly even a few years, depending on what the lumps actually are- of a happy and otherwise healthy life.
So my problem is not knowing whether I should even take her to the vet or not right now. If anything changes (lumps get bigger or she seems to be suffering), then I will absolutely take her. But would it help her right now? She's never been to a vet before as she's always been healthy, so I wonder if it's worth stressing her out?

So right now I am inclined to just let her be and monitor her closely for any change. Would you all agree with that, or do you feel I should take her for the biopsy and risk the op?
I need help, because I honestly don't know what's best for her. I know that she is one of the happiest rabbits I've ever seen. She must binky a hundred times a day! I love her so much and want to do what's right for her.

I can't thank you all enough for the help you've given me, especially as I have been writting so much :oops:

Did they say a biopsy would need a sedation or are they able to take a few cells during a consult? If it can be done easily with out a need for sedation personally i would go for that. That way you will know what you are dealing with and can make a decision based on fact and you may find there is nothing to worry about at all so you can relax. If it is something more serious you can still opt not to operate but give her quality time but at least you will know. However if the biopsy need a GA and is more invasive then I would probably not bother, but would still get them vet checked just to make sure there is no infection involved.

This is what I would do. I would not be opting for surgery. So then I'd ask myself ' Will having a biopsy do anything *to help Willow* ? I do not think it would, it would just give *me* some answers. Would knowing it was cancer (if it is) change how I cared for her, no it would not. I would be making every day special for her whether she has cancer or not.

So, would I take her to the Vet to have a biopsy, given that at the moment she is happy and not in the least bit troubled by the lumps. No, I would not. A biopsy may help me, but it would not benefit Willow. As she has never travelled it could also be particularly stressful for her.

This is of course entirely my personal opinion, based on the fact that I would already have made up my mind that surgery was not an option and that I was certain Willow was not at all troubled by the lumps. I would monitor the lumps daily and if anything changed or if Willow gave me any cause for concern I would of course take her to be examined and review things from there.

This is what I would do. I would not be opting for surgery. So then I'd ask myself ' Will having a biopsy do anything *to help Willow* ? I do not think it would, it would just give *me* some answers. Would knowing it was cancer (if it is) change how I cared for her, no it would not. I would be making every day special for her whether she has cancer or not.

So, would I take her to the Vet to have a biopsy, given that at the moment she is happy and not in the least bit troubled by the lumps. No, I would not. A biopsy may help me, but it would not benefit Willow. As she has never travelled it could also be particularly stressful for her.

This is of course entirely my personal opinion, based on the fact that I would already have made up my mind that surgery was not an option and that I was certain Willow was not at all troubled by the lumps. I would monitor the lumps daily and if anything changed or if Willow gave me any cause for concern I would of course take her to be examined and review things from there.

100% agree with this :thumb:.

But What if the lumps are abscesses or there is some infection, surely it is better to get them seen by a vet to be on the safe side rather than just assume they are tumours or something similar.:?

I am confused as to why a rabbit that has never seen a vet and that has a health issue of unknown origin is being advised not to consult a vet to at least look at the lumps :?

I wouldn't opt for surgery either and completely agree that quality is more important than quantity but i would at least want to get them seen by a professional and make sure they are not something that can be easily treated

No-one is saying dont consult a vet at all. I am talking about biopsy/surgery etc

Hope that allays you 'confusion' :)

Sorry, as you quoted the owner who doesn't seem sure whether to even see a vet and you posted that you would do nothing except monitor the lump for changes it seemed to imply that there was no need to see a vet :? This is where I became confused.

I think it is really important to see a vet to get the lumps examined, I would not opt for surgery and would decided whether to go ahead with a biopsy based on how invasive it is. Humphrey had a needle stuck in his lump this morning during his consult and barely noticed, I have had piggies have cells taken from lumps during routine consults and they haven't been bothered in the slightest. Given the quote for £50 for a biopsy i am thinking it would be the right price for a few cells to be taken during consult and sent off for analysis, rather than an invasive biopsy procedure which I wouldn;t do either :?

Sorry, as you quoted the owner who doesn't seem sure whether to even see a vet and you posted that you would do nothing except monitor the lump for changes it seemed to imply that there was no need to see a vet :? This is where I became confused.

I think it is really important to see a vet to get the lumps examined, I would not opt for surgery and would decided whether to go ahead with a biopsy based on how invasive it is. Humphrey had a needle stuck in his lump this morning during his consult and barely noticed, I have had piggies have cells taken from lumps during routine consults and they haven't been bothered in the slightest. Given the quote for £50 for a biopsy i am thinking it would be the right price for a few cells to be taken during consult and sent off for analysis, rather than an invasive biopsy procedure which I wouldn;t do either :?

Gill (Vet) can do FNA microscopy on site and she would not charge £50 for it.

I am sure the OP, being the caring owner that she obviously is, will do what she believes to be right for Willow once Gill, or which ever Vet she consults, has carried out a preliminary examination.

I am sure the OP, being the caring owner that she obviously is, will do what she believes to be right for Willow once Gill, or which ever Vet she consults, has carried out a preliminary examination.

I have no idea what Gill charges, I know a lab fee is around £50

And yes i completely agree, that the owner will do the best thing for Willow after the initial consult, it just seemed to me that no-one was saying their should be an initial consult, which i have been saying all along is really important before any decisions are made :)

I am glad we are all agreed ;)

Oh dear... I didn't realise I'd nearly start world war three... Sorry everyone :oops:

I was thinking of monitoring her for a while for any change rather than taking her up there at all as I thought that the examination/consult wouldn't be much good to her as they'd need a biopsy to actually know anything. Could they actually find something out from an examination, then?
As for the biopsy, I think they meant that they can do it while she's awake and with a needle to extract some tissue. Which sounds pretty painful and stressful for her, which was why I was thinking that if I'm not willing to put her through surgery anyway, what good would the biopsy do? Could it be something that could be treated without surgery? If so, I will certainly reconsider the biopsy.

We phoned a family member who was at one time working towards becoming a vet and used to be an assistant, and she suggested that while cancer was likely at her age, it could also be a blocked mammary duct? Is that possible for an unbred rabbit? And would it cause the lumps?
She suggested bathing it gently, massaging it to see if anything comes out and putting some honey on. Any ideas on that? My only concern is if it's an abscess, could I burst it by doing that? If I did, would that cause her harm? I'm a little hesitant to try that, but thought I'd put it to all of you to see what you thought.

That was never mentioned on the phone. Is it the same as a biopsy?

Well I'm a little confused now. I had initially decided that as it would be so stressful (and painful if she has the biopsy), that I would see how things progressed for a while. But there's something they can do for her that isn't too risky (like anesthesia), then I'd rather go that route.

I'm sorry to trouble you all again with this. But if it's an abscess, can it be drained without surgery? And what would happen if it was left? If it were to burst, could it cause harm?

Once again, I thank you all so much for your help. Hopefully I haven't caused too much trouble :oops:

Oh dear... I didn't realise I'd nearly start world war three... Sorry everyone :oops:

I was thinking of monitoring her for a while for any change rather than taking her up there at all as I thought that the examination/consult wouldn't be much good to her as they'd need a biopsy to actually know anything. Could they actually find something out from an examination, then?
As for the biopsy, I think they meant that they can do it while she's awake and with a needle to extract some tissue. Which sounds pretty painful and stressful for her, which was why I was thinking that if I'm not willing to put her through surgery anyway, what good would the biopsy do? Could it be something that could be treated without surgery? If so, I will certainly reconsider the biopsy.

We phoned a family member who was at one time working towards becoming a vet and used to be an assistant, and she suggested that while cancer was likely at her age, it could also be a blocked mammary duct? Is that possible for an unbred rabbit? And would it cause the lumps?
She suggested bathing it gently, massaging it to see if anything comes out and putting some honey on. Any ideas on that? My only concern is if it's an abscess, could I burst it by doing that? If I did, would that cause her harm? I'm a little hesitant to try that, but thought I'd put it to all of you to see what you thought.

Well I'm a little confused now. I had initially decided that as it would be so stressful (and painful if she has the biopsy), that I would see how things progressed for a while. But there's something they can do for her that isn't too risky (like anesthesia), then I'd rather go that route.

I'm sorry to trouble you all again with this. But if it's an abscess, can it be drained without surgery? And what would happen if it was left? If it were to burst, could it cause harm?

Once again, I thank you all so much for your help. Hopefully I haven't caused too much trouble :oops:

A Vet is likely to be able to tell if it is infection/abscessation rather than a tumour just by feeling the lumps.

A Fine needle aspiration (FNA) would involve the Vet drawing off some fluid from the lump and looking at the cells under a microscope. Cystic/inflammatory cells look different to malignant cells. But to get a definitive diagnosis the aspirate would need to be sent off to a Vet lab. A Biopsy would involve taking a sample of the actual lump, which personally I would not expect to be done without sedation at the very least.

Rabbit abscesses are more complicated to treat than those in other species. Surgery is usually required.

If you do opt to go to Gill I am certain she will give you very good advice. She will most definitely have Willow's best interests at the heart of any treatment options she suggests once she has examined her. She is an excellent Vet xx

You haven't caused any trouble :D When you ask for advice people will always have different opinions, although I think in a round about way we were actually agreeing :lol:

As I think you now realise the lumps could be any number of things which is why a vet consult is essential, you will kick yourself later if it turns out to be something treatable and it was left too long. Like I said my old boy Humphrey had a needle popped in his lump today and he wasn't at all bothered and he is 11 years old, and now we know he has a fluid filled cyst and we can leave well alone. If you think this is what the vet suggested for Willow then it is not an invasive test and may give you the answers you need even if you do not want surgery, but as jane has pointed out this may not even be needed once the vet has examined Willow as she may well be able to tell what is going on just by feel. We have an elderly girl who has lumps around her nipples, she had uterine cancer yet the lumps on her nipples are nothing to worry about so it doesn't have to be bad news :D

Back