• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My friend bred her rabbits :(

vergo97

Warren Scout
When I was at school today, my friend said that her rabbits had a litter this morning :shock: I didn't even know that she had got rabbits! I asked why she had a male and female together, thinking that she might not have known they were opposite genders but she just replied "because we wanted baby rabbits! They are soooo cute!" :evil: I asked her what they are going to do with the litter and she said that they will probably keep one and sell the rest. Sounds like they are just doing it for some money. She said that they are giant house rabbits, but they are living in a hutch in the garden?!

It just got me so angry that they breed all of their animals (she has had litters of cats, dogs, rabbits, rats...) and they don't even care for them properly! She once had some ferrets in a hutch and then they escaped, I asked if they were trying to catch them and she replied "oh, they've probably run away by now" :evil:

*rant over*

Also, is it normal not to know your rabbit has had a litter until a week later? she has just said on facebook that she is not sure when they were born, but she thinks it was a week ago and that the mum was hiding them :?

Oh dear :( She doesn't sound very responsible. Maybe you could explain to her about the rescue situation and convince her not to breed again?

Also, is it normal not to know your rabbit has had a litter until a week later? she has just said on facebook that she is not sure when they were born, but she thinks it was a week ago and that the mum was hiding them :?

Wow.. that's just irresponsible those poor bunnies (and the rest!) I'd understand if it was a day or two maybe but a week? She should have know the date of conception or at least the earliest day bunnies could be arriving and watch out for signs from mum!
Just because an animal is cute as a baby doesn't mean it should be bred just for the sake of it! I have a cat too and i was thinking it would be cute to have more kittens like her one day (just after i got her) but did the right thing and got her spayed, theres too many unwanted animals in the world

My 2 rabbits had an accidental litter (i adopted a companion for my rabbit and "she" ended up being a he) sadly i never knew what to look for and didn't think anything of her being grump at us taking her out of the hutch to clean it was anything to worry about. My little sister actually brought a baby into me asking if was a mouse... Luckily they never got scooped away.. :/ They were deep in a hay and fur nest and still mostly warm. we warmed them in a heated box with blankets put mum straight back with them after spot cleaning the hutch and they got on happily :) So i can see how she never saw them straight away but she must of known a date to expect them surely :/

I'd point out the health risks of breeding to her but not try to be nasty about it of course :)

Back