• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much Panacur? Head tilt?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
With Harvey having apparant EC I am starting treating my other rabbits with Panacur (Borrowing yours Jane - am fetching some more from the vets tomorrow but I want to start it ASAP) - the vet said I can pop in and pick some up.

How much is the dosage though? Is it the same for all rabbits?

I'm paranoid Binky's head is tilting - but I think I'm being paranoid :( How clear is it (I haven't seen Harvey since this happened this morning - he was in the vets with stasis)

I have one rabbit with confirmed EC and was advised to treat all the rest with 9 days of panacur, dependant on weight 1-2 graduations per rabbit. It says on the leaflet, but from memory is it 1 graduation per 1.5kg of rabbit? Only the rabbit with confirmed EC got 28 days of panacur.

If Ec was to have passed around the bunnies it would be likely to stay dormant until times of stress or other factor so having another with head tilt so soon would be very, very unlikely.

For the panacur rabbit paste it's one graduation per 2.5kg of rabbit weight. I know because one of my rabbits is sometimes 2.6kg :?
Each tube of paste contains 18 graduations, so for a rabbit less than 2.5kg that's 18 days dose.

Lapizole can be cheaper if you need more doses.
Panacur 10% liquid can be cheaper if you need a lot more doses, but the dosage is more complicated and isn't contained in the instructions because it's meant for dogs and cats but contains exactly the same thing.

The cheapest place I found the Panacur paste was the VetUk website. When Finley was being treated for EC, I was told to treat Emily for 28 days too. She did not show any signs but this was a precaution.

Hi Samantha,

Your welcome to have the panacur for your buns and get some new stuff from the vets for Harvey and Hermy.

Have your buns been on the same area as Harvey and Hermy? If not - EC isn't airborne- it is spread solely through the urine. So unless there was some cross contamination in that respect you should be fine.

Good luck with all the medicating.

~Jane

They have - because Harvey and Hermione came in on Saturday night so I could look after Harvey better.

After I took Harvey to the vets (and he stayed in) Binky and Bailey got into the other room before I got chance to clean properly.

But it's passed through urine and Harvey wasn't weeing at all (I don't think) so hopefully that's that.

Back