• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating - Again! :-(

Dave81

Mama Doe
got home to find Fluffy wasn't interested in her food she was eating this morning before I went to work, now she isn't interested.

Should I try to coax her into eating something or phone the vets now?

Last edited:
got home to find Fluffy wasn't interested in her food she was eating this morning before I went to work, now she isn't interested.

Should I try to coax her into eating something or phone the vets now?

Vets now

Try to assess if she has had any fecal output today, info will be useful for Vet

Good Luck

As Jane. If Fluffy is usually a big eater, straight to the vets. And also as Jane - check if she's been pooing.

Hope it's nothing serious x

can't tell if she has been to the loo as it's a shared litter box.

I noticed a change in her as soon as I got through the door she just sat there didn't approach me or come running over at the sound of food.

At the vets now so should have some news soon

can't tell if she has been to the loo as it's a shared litter box.

I noticed a change in her as soon as I got through the door she just sat there didn't approach me or come running over at the sound of food.

At the vets now so should have some news soon

Great job on reacting so quickly.

Keep us posted!

Back from the vets minus one rabbit :cry:

She is bunged up slightly so gone into stasis! it was scary examining her the vet started to feel her stomach and she set off like a rocket in the end I had to catch her.

I was given the option of bringing her home to syringe feed but I know I can't do that for the life in me as I've tried before.

They are going to give her some pain killers, something to try remove the blockage (can't recall the name) then syringe feed her throughout the night.

The vet says she doesn't have a temperature and looks very healthy so hopefully everything will be fine.

I now have Jezebel sat here on her own hopefully she will be fine been alone for the night :-(

How common is stasis? Can anything be done to prevent it in future? Is it my fault?
I was going to bond them to my males on Thursday should I put this off?

Oh no, that's awful news! Will be thinking of you guys tonight :cry:

It WAS NOT your fault. Rabbits CAN and DO just go in to stasis. You are a fab owner, you noticed instantly something wasn't right and got her to a vet asap - that's all you can do. The rest is up to her now.

Definitely no to bonding, until she has fully recovered.

I'd probably just put a hold on the bond for now - until she's back to normal.

I doubt there's anything you could've done - a lot of rabbits seem to be in stasis at the minute - does anyone know if this could be an effect from the unseasonal temperatures?

Would the vet let you take Jezebel in? Stress can be a big contributing factor in stasis and being seperated might increase the stress.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome xx

I didn't think about asking if Jezebel could go in with Fluffy, hopefully when the pain meds kick in she will be feeling less stressed as you could clearly see the pain and stress when her stomach was examined.

To be fair she is quite a strong stubborn rabbit so I hope she won't be stressed at the vets overnight

I've to ring tomorrow at around 0930 they will only ring tonight if things worsen, which hopefully won't happen

I've noticed they have both been chewing the rubber matting I have them on could this be the cause if it was ingested?

Not much has been chewed though so I'm not sure if that would make a difference

I think I would remove the rubber matting, just in case. I hope she improves over night. Sending lots of vibes for Fluffy xx

I've noticed they have both been chewing the rubber matting I have them on could this be the cause if it was ingested?

Not much has been chewed though so I'm not sure if that would make a difference

It's possible, Smudge went into stasis after having a nibble of a puppy pad, but he has also had stasis issues after nothing.

Sending vibes for her. It's such a worry, and stasis comes on so suddenly. Well done for acting fast. :thumb:

thanks all, I haven't had a call from the vets yet so that's good news so far!!

I think Jezebel thinks I have lost the plot as I'm sleeping on the living room floor to keep her company :lol:

Wow, what a wonderful dedicated owner you are noticing Fluffy was struggling and getting her help so fast as well as sleeping on the floor to keep Jezebel company.:thumb::thumb:

You are a wonderful bunny parent! This was most certainly NOT your fault, bunnies are very sensitive little creatures it doesnt take much to put them in to statis. What set up do you have for them? I would remove the rubber mat, I dont know about your 2 but my jimby has a rubber fetish! Lol

I hope Fluffy is much better and able to come home.

An update:

Spoke to the vets about 10 mins ago, Fluffy still hasn't passed anything they are continuing to syringe feed her. They have said she looks clam and chilled out, she also ate some dandelions this morning so I guess that's some good news if she is feeling like eating on her own steam.

Have to ring back at lunch time now

At least she has not got any worse. It can be a very slow process but the fact she is showing intrest in food is a very good sign.

Back