• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple to the vet

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
Apple is one of the trio I fostered from Starlights and then adopted after Starlights closed. Unfortunately by the time I realised they weren't going to get rehomed quickly and decided to keep them it was too late to put them outside so they have been in a pen in my lounge, which is far from ideal as it's not that big.

Apple has now found out how to escape the pen. I have absolutely no idea how she is doing it as it has a cover on it and is too heavy for her to lift. I was woken this morning early by a crash and when I eventually caught her (after some considerable time) her eye was bleeding and looked sore. She also has a dirty bottom:cry:

I put her back in the pen and went to work but she has got out yet again. She won't do it when I am in the room and the other two are still in there. She is smaller than they are but I still can't see how she is getting out.

She is due at the vet at 5.00 pm so any spare vibes would be appreciated. I was there yesterday with Molly and my overdraft has got an overdraft at the moment!!!!

I can't wait for it to get warmer so I can move the trio outside. I have a spare hutch and hopefully will be able to fix the spare run (the wood has rotted away on part of it). They will be much happier outside and I can get my lounge back. There is fur and hay and bunny droppings all over it - complete now with puddles on my cushions courtesy of Apple.

Poor Apple needs a stitch and reconstructive surgery on her eyelid:cry: I took her in on her own so wouldn't leave her there and am taking her back tomorrow with her sister and her Mum. I am on a course all day tomorrow and on-call all night - things always happen at the wrong times. Driving home the car overheated and I realised it had absolutely no oil in it. Mega stress time.

I hate leaving animals at the vet and won't be able to concentrate on the course at all. They won't like me leaving my mobile on, even on silent, but it's non negotiable as the vet has said he may want to speak to me.

Can Apple have some vibes please? She isn't even a year old yet and her eye is so sore. She's had an antibiotic injection and the vet OK'd me giving her some metacam tonight.

Sending little Apple tonnes and tonnes of vibes xxxxxxxxx

Is there anyway Apple could be free range in your living room? When Darcy was a baby I kept him in a pen to start with, with the intention of slowly letting him have time outside building up to being free range. I would go to work and find he had somehow got out!! I had a cover on it too. So I gave in to Darcy and went with his decision that he was ready to be free range now!!

My guess with Apple, like what I assume with Darcy, is they are jumping over it. Clambering at the top and jump down. Its the only explanation. Its so dangerous for them to do that but bunnys are so determined!

aw silly Apple.

Lots of vibes for a quick procedure and recovery though.

I know how you mean - I've had such a stressful week and it all happens at once!

Sending little Apple tonnes and tonnes of vibes xxxxxxxxx

Is there anyway Apple could be free range in your living room? When Darcy was a baby I kept him in a pen to start with, with the intention of slowly letting him have time outside building up to being free range. I would go to work and find he had somehow got out!! I had a cover on it too. So I gave in to Darcy and went with his decision that he was ready to be free range now!!

My guess with Apple, like what I assume with Darcy, is they are jumping over it. Clambering at the top and jump down. Its the only explanation. Its so dangerous for them to do that but bunnys are so determined!

I can't let Apple or anybun free range in my lounge as I tried that with George and Gemma - and ended up with wallpaper eaten, TV cables chewed, dried flowers destroyed, cushions gnawed, DVD covers in tatters and coal spread all over the floor. Apple isn't very good at using her litter tray either. The lounge isn't safe for free-ranging. I have a cover pegged on the run so I really can't see how she is getting out.

If Sam (Bluesmum) can get a Rosie sitter for a day next week hopefully she is coming over to help me move some furniture in the lounge so I can make the pen a bit bigger - and hopefully escape-proof - until the trio can go outside. I do feel bad that they are in a smallish pen but at the moment I have no way of extending it due to the way the furniture in the lounge is positioned. I live alone so need some help.

Poor Apple is really jumpy now - I think her adventures have scared her. I'm not sure the vet will like me bringing in two bunny companions with her but I can't leave one of the trio behind. I just hope her eye isn't permanently damaged. It looks awful and I worry about how to stop the other two chewing her stitches tomorrow. If I separate them Apple will be distraught.

I need to stop stressing for now and get some sleep.

I don't know what to suggest. Is the pen in sections? Could you 'section' Apple off so she's still with the others but they can't get to chew her stitches?

Try not to worry, get some sleep xx

aww bless her. A long time ago Gypsy had to have her eye lid stitched back together, it looked awful :( she pulled through though and it healed amazingly, you wouldn't even know now.

The other buns may groom Apple and help to keep the eye clean, it's hard to say for sure though as they are all different. I was terrified of infection with Gypsy, but with the eye drops and anti biotics she was fine . I also had to encourage her to eat as she was very upset from her ordeal.

Hope Apple will be OK X

This is the first time I've had to log on as I've been on a training course all day.

I was really worried about Apple this morning as she was hunched in a corner of the litter tray and she didn't eat anything when I fed the others. In the end I syringe fed her Critical Care which made me late getting her to the vet. She was really lifeless and I thought I would lose her under the GA.

When I got to the venue for my course I found there was no mobile signal. The trainer was lovely though and arranged for me to give my vet the office number so I could be contacted that way. I think she could see how stressed and worried I was.

I 'phoned up at lunch time and Apple was being operated on. The nurse said that she had eaten for herself, which was a huge relief. I was told she was doing fine and could pick her up at 3.30 pm. At 3.00 pm I went to pick her up as it was on the way home from the course but there was no-one available to discharge her so I had to wait.

She is very sleepy and apparently Berry and Cherry were protecting her and pushing the nurse away when she was trying to syringe feed her:love:.

I've given her some eye cream - which I am supposed to put in six times a day - difficult when I am at work. I've also given her metacam and baytril and am leaving her quietly in her pen with the other two. I've put a carrier in there with a blankie so she can snuggle in the dark if she wants to. She isn't eating yet but I won't panic as she is still very dopey and lethargic.

It came to £161, which included my prescription charge for more metacam. I will be on bread and water for the rest of the month but I am just so relieved she has got through the operation.

Many thanks for the vibes.

Last edited:
I checked on Apple before I came into work and she ran away from me, so is obviously feeling livelier :)

I am so, so relieved that she is still with me - I really thought the worst when I saw her so lethargic this morning. Have some nommy pear to give her for breakfast when I get in from work as a treat for after I put the cream in her eye. She has had her nails cut and her bottom shaved too as it had got a bit messy. Am unsure why but think it may be because she was in pain with her eye as she has always kept herself clean before.

Apple was nomming with the others when I gave them their breakfast:D:D I am sooo relieved I won't have to syringe feed her. Have had no sleep at all and am working today again so not feeling my best. Her eye looks less sore so hopefully her Mum and sister aren't trying to take the stitches out. I would only separate them as a last resort as Apple has never been apart from them and when I took her to the vet on her own on Tuesday she shook and was much more nervous than when I took the other two with her.

She looks more 'Appley' now - she had lost the spark in her eye yesterday before I took her to the vet. It really scares me when that happens to a bun.

Apple has asked me to thank you all for your vibes.

We'll have a shuffle on Tuesday when I come over :D I'm pretty sure we'll be able to work something out so they have more space.
Glad she is doing well and eating nicely :love:
Do you want me to pick up my spare puppy pen too? Remind me to have a look at the run when I come over and I'll see if I can repair/reuse any of the bits to make you a new one.

Thanks Sam, but isn't it your birthday? I wouldn't think you would want to spend your special day helping me move furniture around in a filthy lounge covered in hay and bunny droppings - and puddles c/o Apple.

Just wondered if you had forgotten it was your birthday:)

Thanks Sam, but isn't it your birthday? I wouldn't think you would want to spend your special day helping me move furniture around in a filthy lounge covered in hay and bunny droppings - and puddles c/o Apple.

Just wondered if you had forgotten it was your birthday:)

I had :oops:
Of course I will still come over....aren't you supposed to spend the day with friends??

Sorry I'm late to this thread. :oops: What a time you are having, but at least Apple seems to be on the up again, and you have a good friend locally to offer support. :thumb:

I had :oops:
Of course I will still come over....aren't you supposed to spend the day with friends??

Yes - but not doing mucky and tiring things like moving furniture and bunny pens - although the trio will be very grateful.

Apple is definitely feeling better. She escaped again earlier and was a nightmare to catch and medicate. I went to Asda earlier and they had lots of herbs for 20p so she had a treat tonight and has some more for tomorrow after her meds. Her eye is looking so much better I had to check to make sure I was putting the cream in the correct eye. My vet did a good job considering how awful it looked originally.

Thank you Susie. I am very lucky to have Sam living locally. She is a wonderful friend to me and the buns as is Debbie (purplebumble).

Karen hun i have a doggy pen but wont fit three in.....open pens can be cleared so easily by buns its scary...willow was a 6 month old frenchie and she cleared the big metal pen panels early one morning and i found her trying to hide from little bif whod been fighting with her...bif had no fur and grazes all around her neck..willow had lots of little bites..baytril for her! she cleared over a metre high and she was a heavy frenchie lump!

weve had litle buns do it too...i think cos theyre lighter they can PING through the air. can you cable tie another pen panel to the top of the panel..and do the same to the other side so the panels balance on the edges of the uprights and overlaps o dont fall in?

aww sam..never knew you had your birthday tuesday..no wonder cant go bunny hunting lol.

thats so nice youre helping karen...karen hun i hope you can sort it out....theres no such thing as a safe bunny pen is there!

£161 and your poor car...you poor thing:( wish i could help:(

i need a winning euromillions ticket...bout 45 million pounds should cover all the people and charities and let me build a special street of bungalows for severe ME patients and their families to live as the cobditions so looked down on. wheelchairs..equipment....communal room for family and carers to get some company and chill out watch dvd etc.

now all i need is the money to buy the ticket...and lose....again.

merlin sends sniffy kisses and loopy lily sends her special snuggles for aunty karen. Dylan says he can come look after apple and family...but only if they let him wash them:lol:

i hope you get stuff sorted tuesday:wave:

me..a good friend...ah shucks hun im no help at all:oops:

Back